FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ok, I'll just say it - maybe we should be HAPPY they don't always serve food.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 10:37 am
Flailey
Suspended

Programs: All of 'em
Ok, I'll just say it - maybe we should be HAPPY they don't always serve food.

Destined to be the least popular opinion on this board, but I swear it's not designed to be contrarian. I am GLAD that they don't always serve real meals on every flight. I don't know about you, but if I get on a flight leaving at 2:30pm, getting in a 5:30pm, say, there's NO good reason why I should be eating. I don't eat at work, at home, or in any other circumstance between those hours, so why should I on an airplane?

In fact, inevitably what happens if they DO serve food at off times is I eat it anyways, because it's there and it's "free" and it seems like a waste not to eat it. And I'm usually bored, sitting on a plane of course. So then I eat this extra meal. Or maybe an extra half-meal. Then I don't feel right at all for the rest of the day. Will probably not eat dinner at the normal time since I'm still full, then get hungry late at night, then I'm all turned around.

Almost every time I get served a meal and it's not during a normal meal hour I really wish they hadn't served it to me. Sure, you say, I'd like to have the option and you can always turn it down. Actually, I'd prefer not to have the option. Perhaps if you just demand service they could spend the money otherwised used to serve lunch at 3:20 in the afternoon to get better magazines or something. I dunno.

But count me in the (apparently) tiny minority of people that would prefer NOT to have food waved in front of me on medium length flights that don't fall over a natural meal time. IMHO.