Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Ok, I'll just say it - maybe we should be HAPPY they don't always serve food.

Ok, I'll just say it - maybe we should be HAPPY they don't always serve food.

 
Old Feb 22, 06, 11:37 am
  #1  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Programs: All of 'em
Posts: 683
Ok, I'll just say it - maybe we should be HAPPY they don't always serve food.

Destined to be the least popular opinion on this board, but I swear it's not designed to be contrarian. I am GLAD that they don't always serve real meals on every flight. I don't know about you, but if I get on a flight leaving at 2:30pm, getting in a 5:30pm, say, there's NO good reason why I should be eating. I don't eat at work, at home, or in any other circumstance between those hours, so why should I on an airplane?

In fact, inevitably what happens if they DO serve food at off times is I eat it anyways, because it's there and it's "free" and it seems like a waste not to eat it. And I'm usually bored, sitting on a plane of course. So then I eat this extra meal. Or maybe an extra half-meal. Then I don't feel right at all for the rest of the day. Will probably not eat dinner at the normal time since I'm still full, then get hungry late at night, then I'm all turned around.

Almost every time I get served a meal and it's not during a normal meal hour I really wish they hadn't served it to me. Sure, you say, I'd like to have the option and you can always turn it down. Actually, I'd prefer not to have the option. Perhaps if you just demand service they could spend the money otherwised used to serve lunch at 3:20 in the afternoon to get better magazines or something. I dunno.

But count me in the (apparently) tiny minority of people that would prefer NOT to have food waved in front of me on medium length flights that don't fall over a natural meal time. IMHO.
Flailey is offline  
Old Feb 22, 06, 11:42 am
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 23,495
Originally Posted by Flailey
And I'm usually bored, sitting on a plane of course.
Yup, that does it for me.
ijgordon is offline  
Old Feb 22, 06, 11:55 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Programs: AAdvantage (PLT :(, 2MM), HHonors (Silver), Hertz (5 Star), Marriott (Silver)
Posts: 779
count me in on "the (apparently) tiny minority" as I am somewhat glad also. Sure the option is always good but i can't trust myself to say no. Since the meal degradation I have taken to carrying my own home made lunch / dinner on my travel days and having breakfast before leaving. Since switching to this healthier approach and trying to eat a little better (healthier options) while travelling I have lost some of the extrAA pounds accumulated over my business trips. From looking at the usual crowd of upgraders to FC a good portion of frequent fliers would benefit from doing the same - let the flaming begin

All that said - yes I agree that service is decreasing, first "aint what it used to be" and i am opposed to it all so perhaps because i dont have enough will power to "just say no" then others who may have circumstances stopping them from having lunch at the designated lunch time from obtaining a meal. <--- wow, think i'm babblying now so guess i need a coffee
erenner is offline  
Old Feb 22, 06, 12:00 pm
  #4  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Programs: All of 'em
Posts: 683
Originally Posted by erenner
All that said - yes I agree that service is decreasing, first "aint what it used to be" and i am opposed to it all so perhaps because i dont have enough will power to "just say no"
I'm all for service. I think they should snap to attention when you need a drink, they should have snacks available that are good, of various kinds, on demand, that kind of thing.

But actually serving a meal to everyone in sequence... it makes no sense in the middle of the afternoon or late at night, etc. It just doesn't.
Flailey is offline  
Old Feb 22, 06, 12:12 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Programs: AAdvantage (PLT :(, 2MM), HHonors (Silver), Hertz (5 Star), Marriott (Silver)
Posts: 779
Originally Posted by Flailey
But actually serving a meal to everyone in sequence... it makes no sense in the middle of the afternoon or late at night, etc. It just doesn't.
Well just because you may not want it doesnt mean that others do not. I prefer to try not to have my preferences imposed upon others. To each their own and in first class (business class) perhaps we should expect such a choice. In europe I have received meals on very short flights in Y cabin (yes recently not just yrs ago) even though some of these meals were not exactly fillet mignon they sure were a nice touch.

Basically - i'm pro choice and dont want to take that choice away from others.
erenner is offline  
Old Feb 22, 06, 12:18 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: LAX; AA EXP, MM; HH Gold
Posts: 31,790
It really depends on where you begin your journey the day of that mid-afternoon flight. If you leave a courthouse or deposition that's an hour and a half away from some small Eagle spoke and you drive fast to the airport hoping to catch an earlier flight to connect to that mid-afternoon 3 hour flight, then you may be very happy to see a meal served, since breakfast may have been at 5:30 that morning.

All the more reason for AA to move toward a pay-as-you-eat model even in F. That way, those who want to eat can eat, and those who don't want to eat don't have to pay for their unwanted meal.
FWAAA is offline  
Old Feb 22, 06, 12:21 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: San Francisco
Programs: AA 3mm Plat
Posts: 10,070
Some people fly multiple legs, some cross many times zones. Some travel great distances to get to the airport.

Some on some days have only the time they are actually traveling in which to eat.

The assumption that everyone has a chance to have had breakfast or lunch before a flight just because it leaves at 10:30 a.m. or 3:00 p.m. is simply incorrect.

Don't wish me starvation me to help yourself out with your lack of self-control!
Teacher49 is offline  
Old Feb 22, 06, 12:26 pm
  #8  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Programs: All of 'em
Posts: 683
Originally Posted by Teacher49
Some people fly multiple legs, some cross many times zones. Some travel great distances to get to the airport.

Some on some days have only the time they are actually traveling in which to eat.

The assumption that everyone has a chance to have had breakfast or lunch before a flight just because it leaves at 10:30 a.m. or 3:00 p.m. is simply incorrect.

Don't wish me starvation me to help yourself out with your lack of self-control!
Yeah no I'm well aware of that. I've eaten plenty of meals on the run.

That has nothing to do with *automatically* walking down the aisle and having a hot meal available for every single passenger. What's wrong with food for purchase, even in the front of the plane, or anything more on-demand? Or grabbing it in the airport.

Long flights are different... but I don't think the above changes the point. If you haven't had a chance to eat by a 3:00pm departure say why don't you get some food on the way in, instead of insisting on being served a meal at 3:45. I don't get it.
Flailey is offline  
Old Feb 22, 06, 12:49 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: FIND ME ON TWITTER FOR THE LATEST
Posts: 27,605
Originally Posted by Teacher49
Some people fly multiple legs, some cross many times zones. Some travel great distances to get to the airport.

Some on some days have only the time they are actually traveling in which to eat.

The assumption that everyone has a chance to have had breakfast or lunch before a flight just because it leaves at 10:30 a.m. or 3:00 p.m. is simply incorrect.
Or even simpler than that-- some people here actually fly a lot and those who simply post a lot, but fly very infrequently, have no idea whatsoever what's involved.
JonNYC is offline  
Old Feb 22, 06, 1:02 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Dallas/Orlando
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 2,606
Originally Posted by Flailey
That has nothing to do with *automatically* walking down the aisle and having a hot meal available for every single passenger. What's wrong with food for purchase, even in the front of the plane, or anything more on-demand? Or grabbing it in the airport.
This has got to be a pipe dream, something only an up-to-date data system could handle, but what about an online meal request system? I've mentioned it before.

Previous to a certain cut-off time (12 hours out, for example), F passengers could request a snack on aa.com for non-meal window flights. Perhaps, if we're getting really customer friendly, let them select between beef, chicken, pasta, fish or vegetable-based options. Charge $5 to $15 for this service for sticker upgraders (hey, just trying to infuse some sort of reality in this). It should probably be complimentary (and perhaps always catered regardless of whether or not they opted for a snack online) for full-fare passengers. A few extra snacks would be loaded for those who upgraded at the last minute or changed their mind. This would just be for non-meal window flights (the charge and option to select a meal).

For meal window flights still allow meal type selection online in advance.

And, above all else, make this process and policy very transparent and obvious to all F passengers so as to avoid any sort of confusion.
tismfu is offline  
Old Feb 22, 06, 1:04 pm
  #11  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Programs: All of 'em
Posts: 683
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Or even simpler than that-- some people here actually fly a lot and those who simply post a lot, but fly very infrequently, have no idea whatsoever what's involved.
Ooh look another content free post. You could have explained why you disagree with me. But that would take time and/or thought eh.

Attacking the messenger though... that's a real contribution to the dialogue. I don't think they need to have automatic meals on 3 hour flights in the middle of the afternoon. It's an opinion. Disagree if you'd like.
Flailey is offline  
Old Feb 22, 06, 1:28 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 166
Originally Posted by Flailey
I'm all for service. I think they should snap to attention when you need a drink, they should have snacks available that are good, of various kinds, on demand, that kind of thing.

But actually serving a meal to everyone in sequence... it makes no sense in the middle of the afternoon or late at night, etc. It just doesn't.

Being a F/A for a major airline, I am thankful that all passengers don't have your mentality regarding " they should snap to attention when you need a drink". For the most part, people are just thankful to be offered a drink, snack or meal on any given flight. It is people like you that think the world should drop whatever they are doing and cater ONLY to what you want and when you want it. I happen to be one of the nice F/A's who loves her job and loves the interaction with most of the people I come in contact with on a flight. You, however, are a F/A's worst nightmare of a passenger. I treat everyone with respect and it doesn't matter what part of the aircraft they are sitting in to me. I, in turn from you, would expect the same. I am just curious about your comment about serving a meal in sequence, it makes no sense? What on earth do you mean by that? Should we start on whatever row you are on then work forward or back from there?
skydiva44 is offline  
Old Feb 22, 06, 1:32 pm
  #13  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 17,769
If you don't want to eat, show some self restraint and don't eat. Don't use you inability to control yourself as a justification for taking choice away from others.
BenjaminNYC is offline  
Old Feb 22, 06, 1:47 pm
  #14  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Programs: All of 'em
Posts: 683
Originally Posted by skydiva44
Being a F/A for a major airline, I am thankful that all passengers don't have your mentality regarding " they should snap to attention when you need a drink". For the most part, people are just thankful to be offered a drink, snack or meal on any given flight. It is people like you that think the world should drop whatever they are doing and cater ONLY to what you want and when you want it. I happen to be one of the nice F/A's who loves her job and loves the interaction with most of the people I come in contact with on a flight. You, however, are a F/A's worst nightmare of a passenger. I treat everyone with respect and it doesn't matter what part of the aircraft they are sitting in to me. I, in turn from you, would expect the same. I am just curious about your comment about serving a meal in sequence, it makes no sense? What on earth do you mean by that? Should we start on whatever row you are on then work forward or back from there?
I'm the worst nightmare of a passenger? I don't actually do anything but ask for drinks when I'm thirsty. I just WISH they would be on the ball about it. That doesn't mean that I complain or act entitled or am mean about it. I also sometimes have thoughts about attractive women I'm not in a relationship with, but I don't actually do anything about them and I don't think they have a right to get riled up about it. Think about the last time you thought about snapping the neck of an annoying passenger. We're not prosecuting thoughtcrimes here. I'm thankful for anyone that has a job that involves serving me and I treat them with respect. I do prefer they snap to attention though, much like I jump through hoops for the people that pay me, when I'm asked to do something. Nothing complicated, no need for a martyr complex. I expressed a preference for quick and attentive service when I fly. I don't think that makes me unusual.

What I mean about "sequence" is that I don't think there's any need to have automatic meal service, of the kind you typically associate with airplanes (start at one end with the cart) when it's a short flight and it's not a meal time. In my humble opinion only. Others disagree. Others threaten to abandon an airline over it or write protest letters about ice cream. I just wanted to raise a flag for an alternate point of view, that's all.
Flailey is offline  
Old Feb 22, 06, 1:50 pm
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: San Francisco
Programs: AA 3mm Plat
Posts: 10,070
Originally Posted by Flailey
Yeah no I'm well aware of that. I've eaten plenty of meals on the run.

That has nothing to do with *automatically* walking down the aisle and having a hot meal available for every single passenger. What's wrong with food for purchase, even in the front of the plane, or anything more on-demand? Or grabbing it in the airport.

Long flights are different... but I don't think the above changes the point. If you haven't had a chance to eat by a 3:00pm departure say why don't you get some food on the way in, instead of insisting on being served a meal at 3:45. I don't get it.
I don't think I can insist on much these days. But any flight of a longer duration than x hours needs to be a meal flight or a non meal flight. International passengers connecting in DFW to SFO or SEA or whatever should not need to keep track of what the local time. We are jet lagged enough, rushed enough, and have enough to keep track of not to have to guess whether the next 4 hour flight will feed us or not. Sometimes, too, due to delays there is barely enough time to clear DHS and change terminals let alone try to buy food.

As to being charged up front ... my God business and first have gotten plenty lean enough without having to pay for the meal or having to wonder if they stocked enough.

If you don't want to eat, don't eat and leave the rest of us to have our own choice not only yours.
Teacher49 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread