FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Pax asked to put seat up so large pax could eat, what would you have done?
Old Nov 29, 2005, 2:27 am
PUCCI GALORE
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by brp
Given that it sounds, from your post, that this was asked nicely, I don't see the issue.

What would I have done? I would not have started an inane thread about so minor a topic, especially when the whole "seat recline" thing has been beaten to death. I assume the next thread will be about the FA that asked someone to turn their light off...or maybe to turn their music down- all thread-worthy to be sure .

Cheers.
Sorry I do not see what was inane about a question that was seeking other poster's opinions. So he started a thread - why not? He had a question and he asked. We all see situations in life and wonder how other may react, think, or feel - we then ask them it's called good conversation. No, I think that you were a little harsh there. I know that sometimes we are presented with scenarios (if that is the correct plural) that clearly exist more in the mind of the poster than in the real world - but this does not sound like one of them.

To the original poster - like all things much hinges on how it was done and why it was done. As you have set the scenes for both, I think that it would take someone fairly boorish to refuse. Now the interesting question would have been - suppose the passenger in 3F had been asleep? Should the FA have woken him or not to get the seat moved? That would be a bit more controversial. I would have done on a flight of this duration on the pretext of seeing whether they would like anything to eat and then asked very solicitously if they would not mind. Most people are reasoanable and considerate when they know that there is a problem. People on the whole are larger than they used to be ( so spoke the kettle!) and this problem simply will not go away. No, I doubt if the person would have been offended or felt humiliated - probably relieved that he did not have to say anything or bother anyone, and appreciative of the sensitivity of the Flight Attendant.

PG