Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Pax asked to put seat up so large pax could eat, what would you have done?

Pax asked to put seat up so large pax could eat, what would you have done?

Old Nov 28, 05, 10:46 pm
  #1  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: SoCal
Programs: AA PLT, SPG Platinum
Posts: 3,465
Pax asked to put seat up so large pax could eat, what would you have done?

I was on a flight ORD-PVD last night in F, 3F was reclining, and 4F was a larger gentleman. As the FA served dinner, she asked 3F if she would please bring her seat up for the meal service. I am assuming that 3F never saw 4F, or his situation. First of all, let me say this: I think the FA did the absolute right thing, was very tactful about it, and made it seem like pax were supposed to be in the upright position for the meal.

3F did not look like a "typical" F flyer, and, judging by how she and some of the other F pax looked, my guess was that they were students at Brown or URI who'd been opped up due to loads. I could be wrong, this was just my snap judgement (flame away if you like). Therefore, she may not have known that there is no rule about this.

I'm just wondering, would you guys have given the FA a hard time, assuming she was on a power trip, or would you have just complied? The guy in 4F would otherwise have had a very uncomfortable meal, had she not moved her seat up. I must also add that she was a great FA, everything was with a smile, and she scolded the Y pax who would come up to use the F lav (she may have forgotten the warm nuts and bread with dinner, but I'm guessing that with all the problems at ORD, somehow some stuff didn't get loaded).
Fly AA J all the way is offline  
Old Nov 28, 05, 11:12 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: STL
Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 12,966
When jammed into a small metal tube with 200 other people, I try to be considerate of others. Therefore, I would have put my seat up. To me, it's basic courtesy, not doing something that causes problems for a fellow passenger. Other posters may differ.
gemac is offline  
Old Nov 28, 05, 11:12 pm
  #3  
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Louisville, KY
Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Posts: 57,293
If I am in F and reclined, I put my seat up for meals no matter who the passenger is behind me.
Spiff is online now  
Old Nov 28, 05, 11:14 pm
  #4  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: SoCal
Programs: AA PLT, SPG Platinum
Posts: 3,465
Originally Posted by gemac
When jammed into a small metal tube with 200 other people, I try to be considerate of others. Therefore, I would have put my seat up. To me, it's basic courtesy, not doing something that causes problems for a fellow passenger. Other posters may differ.

I completely agree. I just don't know how some may have reacted had they not realized who was behind them. If they thought that, for some reason, the FA had some idea about how one should sit to eat, they may have declined. I might have been in that camp at one point, not even thinking about who might be behind me. I know that, if it ever happens to me, I will think a little more in the future.
Fly AA J all the way is offline  
Old Nov 28, 05, 11:15 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: PHX
Programs: AA Peon Gold
Posts: 2,914
It's just good manners to put your seat up. I'm not a larger person and I still have problems eating in Y with the tray down if the person in front of me is reclined.
WRCSolberg is offline  
Old Nov 28, 05, 11:16 pm
  #6  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,188
Originally Posted by Spiff
If I am in F and reclined, I put my seat up for meals no matter who the passenger is behind me.
Same with me. 100% of time.
drtdk is offline  
Old Nov 28, 05, 11:18 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,729
I get annoyed when I'm in steerage and the person in front of me has his seat reclined from take-off to landing. You don't need to be reclined during [email protected]!
bumpme is offline  
Old Nov 28, 05, 11:27 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chicago
Programs: Formerly: UA 1K, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, FT Addicts Anonymous; Currently: Grounded
Posts: 829
Yeah, I was on a UA flight the other night from IAD-DEN (777 three class in Y) and the guy behind me tapped my shoulder as I tried to recline my seat to it's full extent. He requested that I not go all the way back b/c it was hitting his legs. I am about 6'1" and a pretty big guy, so I understood and kindly complied. The FA then commented, "wow, we've got all the tall guys right here; there are seats in the back open if you want to move." Neither of us moved as I was still comfy and I suppose he was.

I think it is a common courtesy in the F meal situation and in my situation. It did not make the flight unbearable for me, and I was still comfortable (and I could have moved if I wanted).

So I think it is just helping each other out.
zrudeboyz is offline  
Old Nov 28, 05, 11:51 pm
  #9  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 40,463
If I am politely asked to not recline during a meal, I will happily oblige. If, however, as has happened, I get a member of cabin crew trying to tell me to do it then I will be obligated to decline

Dave
Dave Noble is offline  
Old Nov 29, 05, 12:03 am
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Tainan, Taiwan
Posts: 12,965
With the tight quarters in steerage these days, I think it is just common courtesy to not recline at all except during late-night or overnight flights when people are trying to sleep. I only recline on red-eye flights, or if the seat behind me is empty.

To answer the OP's question, of course I would put my seat up if it was making the person behind me uncomfortable.
Skyman65 is offline  
Old Nov 29, 05, 12:14 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: ORD-JFK-EZE
Posts: 717
Originally Posted by Fly AA J all the way
I was on a flight ORD-PVD last night in F, 3F was reclining, and 4F was a larger gentleman. As the FA served dinner, she asked 3F if she would please bring her seat up for the meal service. I am assuming that 3F never saw 4F, or his situation. First of all, let me say this: I think the FA did the absolute right thing, was very tactful about it, and made it seem like pax were supposed to be in the upright position for the meal.

3F did not look like a "typical" F flyer, and, judging by how she and some of the other F pax looked, my guess was that they were students at Brown or URI who'd been opped up due to loads. I could be wrong, this was just my snap judgement (flame away if you like). Therefore, she may not have known that there is no rule about this.

I'm just wondering, would you guys have given the FA a hard time, assuming she was on a power trip, or would you have just complied? The guy in 4F would otherwise have had a very uncomfortable meal, had she not moved her seat up. I must also add that she was a great FA, everything was with a smile, and she scolded the Y pax who would come up to use the F lav (she may have forgotten the warm nuts and bread with dinner, but I'm guessing that with all the problems at ORD, somehow some stuff didn't get loaded).
Regarding the first part of your post, I would say YES. I agree 100%.

Now..., a typical "F" flyer.... Based on FT posts, they are mostly self absorbed; king/queen of the world (including drama queens); always "ME, ME, ME". Trully and FTer at its best !!!!

Scolding a Y passenger from using an F lav...., it's all for "security reasons"...

No warm nuts.... oh please.... I would ask for compnesation !!!!

Cheers,

J.
jcf27 is offline  
Old Nov 29, 05, 12:15 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
Posts: 2,620
On Topic: I agree that the FA asking as a bit much. Did the larger gentleman request this or did the FA just take it upon herself to humilate him?

Off Topic: In LRTC, I can actually lock my knees against the seat to prevent reclining at all if I'm in a window seat. Best thing is it doesn't take any effort, just be 6'5"ish with a larger than average lower body. Most people notice their seats don't recline right, look back, see me struggling to breathe, and figure it out. One time, when I was banished to Airtran, this maybe 100lbs lady that topped out at about 5' tall actually called the FA to complain. She played along though, and said, "Sir, would you mind moving your legs to an overhead bin?" and then walked off. At least I thought it was funny, the lady in front of me did not and continued attempting to recline for about 15 more minutes.
DillMan is offline  
Old Nov 29, 05, 12:37 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: San Juan, PR, USA
Programs: AA PLT 1MM, Starwood Preferred, Hilton Gold VIP
Posts: 310
I usually put the seat up for the dinner service. Even in international J, sometimes it's very difficult to step out of a window seat if the one in front is reclined.
BlassSJU is offline  
Old Nov 29, 05, 12:37 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: WAS - (BWI/DCA/IAD)
Programs: AA GLD, soon-to-be PLT in 2 weeks!
Posts: 3,086
Would this thread have been started if the person in 4F was of "normal" -- at least not as big -- size?
777-DCA is offline  
Old Nov 29, 05, 12:55 am
  #15  
Hoc
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: San Juan Capistrano, CA; AA 2.5 MM, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 2,357
I don't see what the big deal is. I have been asked to put my seat up on more than one occasion during the meals. And I do so without giving it a second thought. AA has seen fit to jam the seats so close together that it is nearly impossible to lower your meal tray if the seat in front of you is reclined.

And it makes no difference to me whether the FA is pleasant or imperious in tone. It's just common courtesy, and as a civilized human being I do it.

However, at non-meal times, I have no problem using the space that AA has rented to me to recline my seat. If that causes discomfort, then it is a problem that AA needs to fix by spacing the seats out more rationally.

Last night I rode back from HNL to LAX in the Y section of a 767. Non-exit row. I don't think I've done that in a very long time. I was amazed at how tiny and closely packed the seats were. my knees were in my face virtually the entire flight back. I had to put my laptop under the seat in front of me, and when I wanted to get it out, I could not reach it because there was so little room to bend forward. Frankly, the spacing of the seats is outrageous, but it is not my issue. It is AA's.
Hoc is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: