FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Aeroflot in Skyteam on April 14, 2006
View Single Post
Old May 22, 2000, 9:03 am
Russ21Atl

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, Hilton HHonors Gold, SPG Gold & Avis First
Aeroflot to join international alliance........

Russian Aeroflot airline to join international alliance
Source: ITAR-TASS News Wire
Publication date: 2000-05-18

MOSCOW, May 18 (Itar-Tass) - Heads of the Aeroflot airline Aeroflot -- Russian international airlines and the Air France national air company -- Valery Okulov and Jean Spinetta -- approved during the talks in Paris a plan for the Russian air company to join the international alliance, the Aeroflot press service told Itar- Tass on Thursday.
Specific measures in this field will include the current period and up to 2003.

In addition to the named air carriers, the alliance will include the Delta American air company, which will enter into the negotiations process in the near future. The national air companies of South Korea and Mexico will also join the alliance.

The meeting passed within the framework of the earlier established joint Managing committee, whose working groups are called upon to coordinate different and complex issues concerning practically all the aspects of the activities of participants in the alliance.

The next meeting of the single Managing committee will be held in the first half of September this year in Moscow. At this conference members of working groups will report on intermediate results and coordinate their further actions.

Publication date: 2000-05-18
© 2000, YellowBrix, Inc.

As an employee of Delta, this alliance seems to get stranger as time goes on. Korean Air is a great worldwide carrier, but they are having to spend a lot of money to correct their safety issues. Air France seems to go on strike all the time. Now Aeroflot! I don't know much about them, but according to what I found on the web, they've had about 200 crashes since their inception. And, Russia isn't really economically stable yet. So at any rate, it'll be fun to get your comments, I'm sure this will be a heated thread.

[This message has been edited by Russ21Atl (edited 05-22-2000).]