Reload this Page >

Aeroflot in Skyteam on April 14, 2006

Old Mar 22, 00, 9:18 am
BSL
Original Poster

Announced today...
"Aeroflot-Russian International Airlines and Air France have signed an agreement to set up a co-ordinating
committee to prepare a global alliance, the two airlines' heads, Valery Okulov and Jean Spinetti, said at
a joint news conference March 21.

The alliance would also include the United States Delta Airlines and the national airlines of Mexico and
South Korea according to the Itar-Tass news agency."

For the rest of the story goto: http://news.airwise.com/

Here is the Bloomberg link: http://quote.bloomberg.com/fgcgi.cgi...uote99_news.ht

Anyone know more details???

BSL

[This message has been edited by BSL (edited 03-22-2000).]
Old Mar 22, 00, 9:34 am

So KE is back in the game....
Old Mar 22, 00, 9:57 am

Programs: United, AA
What ?????

They gotta be kidding !

Who's gonna be next ? Mozambique Air ?
Old Mar 22, 00, 10:00 am

Programs: DL MM
Anyone want all my miles? I am leaving.

Chris Moss

Old Mar 22, 00, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom
KAL & Russia together in an alliance?

That is so wrong, on so many levels.

A China airline is sure to follow...

The Risky Business Alliance.
Old Mar 22, 00, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I hear ValuJet may be resurrected (ie dug-up) and become a full partner as well. They had a similar track record.
Old Mar 22, 00, 5:16 pm
Original Member

But don't worry, in response to passenger concerns, Delta and Air France are lobbying to insure that a chaplain will be available on all code-share flights with Aeroflot.
Old Mar 22, 00, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom
I find it strange that this news is not posted on any of the web sites of the involved airlines.

There may be some spin here on Aeroflot's part (although this news isn't on their web site, either -- at least the English language part).

There may be some cooperation between AF and Aeroflot, but my gut tells me the alliance part is an optimistic speculation by Aeroflot.
Old Mar 22, 00, 6:43 pm

As the links says "...according to the Itar-Tass news agency."

The operational date is 2003, and the agreement is between Aeroflot and AF. The rest is disinformation.

Old Mar 22, 00, 7:36 pm

I can see codeshares on DL equipment, but an internatioal codeshare with SU equipment. That's a long time away.
I might expect to see more flights to Russia or bigger equipment if SU pulls out of some markets, nut most likely, AF will cover them.
Now as far as KAL, it would make sense if they could keep their planes in the air. It might be DL's best hope for an asian partner. At least with SU as a partner, KAL might not get its planes shot down.
Old Mar 23, 00, 10:18 am

This morning on CNN HL News, at the end of the hour there was a graphic & the following: Closed captioning sponsored by Aeroflot Airline.

CNN is in ATL, DL in ATL, close ties between the 2 exist...probably not a coincidence that Aeroflot is advertising on CNN.
Old Mar 27, 00, 8:01 pm
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, ex-BD Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Given that the only non-stop flights between the US and Russian (unless Transaero is still flying LAX-SVO) are Aeroflot and DL, this could potentially raise competition issues as well. Indeed, SU and DL "compete" head-to-head on JFK-SVO.

Based on past experience, I wouldn't be surprised if this press release were mostly speculative.

And we all though KE was bad news for this alliance....
Old Apr 1, 00, 4:04 pm
Original Member

Flying Dutchman: But that Chaplain will always be in an exit seat.
I'm sure others on here have flown SU. My experience says that there's no poorer way to fly, except on one of Russia's renamed internal airlines. Even if you speak the language (as I do), service is slovenly, the peanuts are stale (and that's dinner in F), and there's no leg room. Oh, well, DL has been trying unsucsessfully (did I spell that correctly? Something doesn't seem quite right) to forge a workable alliance for quite some time and hasn't seemed to make it. Air Mozambique might be a good shot.
Old Apr 8, 00, 11:06 am

I have flown Aeroflot several times. This would be a welcom adition to the program.

True, Aeroflot is not Emirates or Singapore airlines, but at least internatioanlly, they are hardly the worst airline in the world. I can think of MANY that are far worse.

Their fares are fantastic - half that of Delta for direct flights to Moscow.
Old Apr 8, 00, 11:29 am

To express disappointment with the turn of events, and not to be disputatious, AF is also not the world's worst intl airline, but many (most?) Delta elites think that DL is the best US airline, and one of the best intl airlines. Teamed with SR, DL had a best of breed alliance. Without SR, but with AF, the alliance has no benefit to many DL elites, since DL elites will often either fly only DL or put miles in *A of 1W. In my case, DL's loss (no DL codeshares on AF sold to me) will be *A's gain. SQ and LH intl are best of breed.

Search this Thread