FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Waikoloa Village {US-HI}
Old Oct 8, 2005, 10:46 am
BXIAN

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Any recent info on the Wiakoloa Village (Big Isalnd)

Here is a belated trip report from our stay the first week in August:
PART 1
Flight: We left Philadelphia on a United flight and had a 3 hour layover in SFO. I was worried about United given their recent financial woes. No reason to worry-all flights left on time. We had wonderful service going out. Our 17 y/o son had enough miles to upgrade to first class (while sister and parenst sat in the cheap seats). The cheap seats were overbooked in SFO, so I graciously offered to volunteer for the rest of our family to be upgraded to first class for the SFO-KOA leg to keep S company-request cheerfully accepted! SFO airport has some interesting food court options that made the layover bearable.

The Big Island pre-HWV-We were staying at HWV on 2 GLON awards for 6 nights. We decided to spend the first 3 nights staying elsewhere and circumnavigating the island. First night was at the Outrigger Keauhou resort-a plesant surprise-while rooms were basic, the resort has an awesome bar area with entertainment that juts out over the Pacific. It is next to a beach with a large sea turtle population-fun to watch. At $129 per night, we thought it was a good value. Next, we drove to Volcano and spent 2 nights at the Kiluea Lodge bed and breakfast. Very nice restaurant and rooms (although teenagers went through withdrawal when they saw no phone and tv in room). Drive to Volcano was beautiful. We stopped at Greenfield coffee and had a fun tour-enjoyed stop at Surfin ... for delicious chocolates known as "Donkey Balls-also stopped at Bong Brothers coffee where we got a nasty salesperson who complained about "people like you" tainting the BI with Walmart (not sure why-maybe because we were tourists)

Volcano was fun-watching the lava flow at night was awesome! Restaurant at the Lodge put congratulatory messages to acknowledge daugher's 19th birthday and our anniversary on the menu for that night-very cool! Great pizza/pasta place near the B & B. We also met the owners of the Volcano teapot Cottage who seemed very nice and have great reviews on tripadvisor.

Left Volcano and drove over the Hilo-stopped at Big Island Candies (great coffee and cookie samples)-also stopped at the Farmer's Market in Hilo where kids got souvenirs for friends back home very cheaply and adults bought fresh fruit. Scenic drive out of Hilo, Akakaka Falls and the "What's Shakin" smoothie stand all were great (as were the malasadas at Tex Drive-in-can you tell I do my food research before we travel?) Drove across Waimea area to Hilton on coast, therefore completing our round the island tour-trip around the island highly recommended if you have the time!

Hilton in a nutshell-great room, good food, very mixed service. Part 2 (to be continued).