FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SW: Disparaging comments from Pax
View Single Post
Old Sep 22, 2005, 12:13 pm
FlyLots

Programs: AA-PLT, UA-Prem, BA-Silver, SPG-PLT, Hyatt-PLT, Hilton-GLD
SW: Disparaging comments from Pax

I am really not trying to let this color my view of SW, and specifically my stereotypes of the type of people that fly SW, but it's getting really hard......

Sitting in my aisle seat for a packed short hop from HOU to AUS. Single male traveller in middle seat, single female traveller in window seat. Given I was probably putting out my "don't talk to me vibe" male begins chatting with female. Fairly innocuous.

Steward makes traditional (ie includes lame jokes) SW announcements and male pax leans over to female pax and says "Have you noticed the crew is all guys and this one definately sounds like he spent too much time out behind the barn".

I didn't recognize the quaint southern saying for what is was totally (although I had my suspicions). However as the flight progressed there were more and more comments being made (i) about the relative "stiff" and "limp-wristedness" status of the various FAs, (ii) comments like, "oh yeah he is definately one", "you wouldn't think he was would'ya?" and "oh look at least there's one woman stewardess."

At the end of the day they never said anything outiright enraging ala Rev. Phelps, but the drivel that was coming out of their mouths (with some heavy Okie and Southern Rural accents) was just plain old dumb and ignorant.

I didn't say a word. Was considering a "did y'all know you were sittin' next to one this whole time" as I walked away (they weren't deplaning in AUS) but just rolled my eyes and walked away.

Does this happen alot? Similar experiences? Anyone would have handled it differently? Anyone would have been enraged rather than simply dumbfounded?