Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

SW: Disparaging comments from Pax

Old Sep 22, 2005, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-PLT, UA-Prem, BA-Silver, SPG-PLT, Hyatt-PLT, Hilton-GLD

I am really not trying to let this color my view of SW, and specifically my stereotypes of the type of people that fly SW, but it's getting really hard......

Sitting in my aisle seat for a packed short hop from HOU to AUS. Single male traveller in middle seat, single female traveller in window seat. Given I was probably putting out my "don't talk to me vibe" male begins chatting with female. Fairly innocuous.

Steward makes traditional (ie includes lame jokes) SW announcements and male pax leans over to female pax and says "Have you noticed the crew is all guys and this one definately sounds like he spent too much time out behind the barn".

I didn't recognize the quaint southern saying for what is was totally (although I had my suspicions). However as the flight progressed there were more and more comments being made (i) about the relative "stiff" and "limp-wristedness" status of the various FAs, (ii) comments like, "oh yeah he is definately one", "you wouldn't think he was would'ya?" and "oh look at least there's one woman stewardess."

At the end of the day they never said anything outiright enraging ala Rev. Phelps, but the drivel that was coming out of their mouths (with some heavy Okie and Southern Rural accents) was just plain old dumb and ignorant.

I didn't say a word. Was considering a "did y'all know you were sittin' next to one this whole time" as I walked away (they weren't deplaning in AUS) but just rolled my eyes and walked away.

Does this happen alot? Similar experiences? Anyone would have handled it differently? Anyone would have been enraged rather than simply dumbfounded?
Old Sep 22, 2005, 12:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Thank God for iPod/Rio Carbon. Seriously.
Old Sep 22, 2005, 1:10 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
You did the right thing. People like that are usually very insecure in their masculinity. Perhaps he "spent a little too much time behind the barn" himself and feels a need to compmensate.
Old Sep 22, 2005, 1:25 pm

Ignorant people are everywhere in this country. Comments like his just make him appear unintelligent and immature. Who cares?
Old Sep 22, 2005, 1:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by keeton
Perhaps he "spent a little too much time behind the barn" himself and feels a need to compmensate.
That's what I would have been thinking, and that's probably exactly what SHE was thinking.
Old Sep 22, 2005, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, DL MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyLots
Was considering a "did y'all know you were sittin' next to one this whole time" as I walked away ....
I would definitely have done this as I deplaned. What's the harm?

I would also have been sitting there with my blood pressure going progressively higher, but I doubt I would have said anything before deplaning unless they started going on about gay people not deserving equal rights, or deserving violence.
Old Sep 22, 2005, 3:16 pm

Just wondering, how far do we (or me, hetero middle-aged woman) let people go when they spout this stuff before responding? If the derogatory comments were about jewish or black people (or women), I think I would have gone frosty on them with a couple of sentences. But is this topic something put up with to keep hackles down? Is it ok to take potshots at, for example, Arabs?
Where are the lines drawn these days? Any comments?
Old Sep 22, 2005, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA Gold (lifetime/1.7 MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
Unfortunately, I have a big mouth and would have said something if it continued. It may not necessarily be the right thing to do, but I've done it before. When I did, the offender shut up and didn't say anything more about it, but I know that it could get ugly if that person was a bit off the wall. So I admit that it could lead to a confrontation. These people think that everyone else agrees with them, which is why they go on and on. It's nice to be able to let them no that is not the case. But I really don't blame anyone for not saying anything. It may not be worth it in the long run.

Which begs the question, if the offender is not talking to you, is it appropriate to interrupt someone else's conversation if you are offended by the topic? It's really a tough call, especially on an airplane where everyone is on top of one another. If they were talking directly to me, of course, I would have no problem speaking my mind.
Old Sep 22, 2005, 3:37 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Well... I probably would have said "I am offended by your comments and I am sure the crew members would be as well. Can you please change the subject?" I am not one to let these things go... people need to realize that "we" are everywhere....

Also, I do not believe the fact this was a SW passenger means anything.... you were on the flight also, weren't you?
Old Sep 22, 2005, 3:38 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: CO OnePass Plat and SPG - Plat, Marriott Plat (don't use -it's a comp), AmericaWest CP
I avoid the typical pax of SWA... Never had a problem like this occur on Continental, American, or United.

People like that peeve me, I would have 1. indicated I was a raging homosexual, then 2. got up and found the most famboyant FA to help me find reseating - making sure that the FA knew who the harassing/offensive PAX were.

I also would drop the line "my BF would love to meet you" if none of the above were feesable.

-Vincent
Old Sep 22, 2005, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, DL former Gold, AA, SPG, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bayotter
... These people think that everyone else agrees with them, which is why they go on and on. It's nice to be able to let them no that is not the case. But I really don't blame anyone for not saying anything. It may not be worth it in the long run.

Which begs the question, if the offender is not talking to you, is it appropriate to interrupt someone else's conversation if you are offended by the topic? It's really a tough call, especially on an airplane where everyone is on top of one another. If they were talking directly to me, of course, I would have no problem speaking my mind.
Although slightly off topic, but still on the topic of speaking up:

http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/begs.html

Old Sep 22, 2005, 3:46 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

earplugs.
everyone's happy.
Old Sep 22, 2005, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-PLT, UA-Prem, BA-Silver, SPG-PLT, Hyatt-PLT, Hilton-GLD
Interesting responses and the funny thing is that put together they sound an awful lot like what was going through my mind at the time. I think in retrospect the thing that I am fighting more than anything is that it touched every single stereotype button you can imagine for that flight.....SW....."cracker accents"......they were discussing "the ministry" for a while as well, etc.

After a while I was just becoming more incredulous rather than angry. To make it clear this topic of conversation was decidedly two way, both the man and the woman wanted to participate. If it would have gotten that they were making truly derogatory or hurtful remarks (so and so's all need to die, etc) I would like to think that I would have said something on the spot. What was truly funny when I think about it is that they were also every once in a while throwing in the classic Seinfeld "not that there's anything wrong with that" sentiments. It was more like each was trying to impress the other that they could clearly identify "one of them".

Although I didn't end up using a good one liner on them, I have in the past. First trip to Salt Lake City and I really wanted to see the Temple Complex. You have to go on a free tour to do it and I wasn't really up to dealing with the "conversion thing" during the whole thing as I really only wanted to look at the buildings, etc. Tour guides for the small group I ended up with end up being these absolutely adorable young mormon women in their late teens / early 20s and sure enough as we're walking towards the building the choir performs in she walks up next to me and chats me up, where am I from, etc. Then she hits me with "so do you think it's possible that our Lord Jesus Christ came to the new world after his resurrection and appeared to the natives?" Without hesitating I said, "I don't know but I think my BF probably would." She got this startled look on her face and for the rest of the tour I was left alone!
Old Sep 22, 2005, 4:22 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
When they talked about one of the FAs, I woulda said, "He is kinda cute...do you think he's available?"
Old Sep 22, 2005, 5:42 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Originally Posted by ecaarch
When they talked about one of the FAs, I woulda said, "He is kinda cute...do you think he's available?"
You only get to find that out if he sends you an email after you fill out a survey...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.