FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SQ FAQ: A Compilation of FTers’ Advice and Experiences
Old Jul 15, 2005, 5:28 pm
jjpb3

SQ FAQ: A Compilation of FTers’ Advice and Experiences

Introduction

To help SQ newbies (as I once was) get started on tapping the advice in this forum, I thought it might be useful to collect past advice of SQ FT regulars under one thread. There is, of course, no substitute for a thorough reading of the SQ website and a diligent application of the search function. But there are times that call for a shortcut to the relevant experiences of seasoned travellers. This thread, I hope, can answer that call.

The price for this convenience is that you, the reader, will have to put up with my editorial comments and rather idiosyncratic choice of what I consider to be the most helpful and/or entertaining posts. It isn’t a small cost, as you will see, but it’s way cheaper than the going rates for shortfinals’s mathematical calculations.

The first round of my thanks goes to StarG and Kiwi Flyer for encouraging my initial idea to do this; for patiently waiting (and waiting, and waiting) for my temperamental fits and starts to yield results; and for significantly improving my early attempts. CGK then amiably agreed to be recruited as my third editor and further raised the quality of the result. I doff my baseball cap to Dave_C and Wingnut of the BA and BD forums, respectively, for demonstrating how helpful a well-written FAQ can be. Last and definitely not least, my thanks to the SQ Board regulars who have tolerated my frequent (and not infrequently OT) posts and who have successfully fostered a sense of community with their helpful, information-laden advice and friendly, smiley-punctuated comments. (Oh yeah, and I thank Academy Awards winners for serving as my role models for 'thank you' speeches.)

One caveat to the reader: regulars on the SQ Board are an unabashedly biased lot. (This bias was evident in the distant past and continues to more recent times.) We believe that SQ, while not at all perfect, will give you just about the most consistently enjoyable in-flight experience today. Caveat emptor regarding our comments and advice. You’ve been duly served with the official disclaimer.

To make the compilation a bit easier to read, I’ve organized the FAQ into the sections shown in the next section. (I did warn you that I’m biased and idiosyncratic, right?) This way, by clicking on a particular section, you can choose to skip to the information that is directly related to your question. But if you have time to spare, the inclination to peruse, and a glass of nice wine to keep you company, you can also give the entire FAQ a leisurely read. I hope my prose makes that task less arduous.

Where a summary of the discussions was too difficult or where I didn’t want to rob you of the richness of the banter, I’ve inserted clickable links to the relevant discussions.

Happy reading…

Last edited by jjpb3; Aug 10, 2005 at 8:42 am