Wiki Posts
Search

QF or SQ, who wins in 2005?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2005, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ G, QF
Question QF or SQ, who wins in 2005?

Great Forum - I am new to the community.

Recently settled in Sydney and will be making approx 1 trip to UK annually, one trip to US annually and probably one other Asian trip. Almost all travel will be in C, occasional Y with family.
Having achieved SQ G status, should I stick with SQ?-I have been happy with them so far, or should I succumb to the company mantra of flying with QF?-they offer our company discounted fares. I am making my maiden C QF flight next week.

Taking into account FFP, service, food and lounges who should win my custom?
Old Apr 21, 2005, 8:49 am

Programs: BA[G], SQ[G], TK[G], DL[PM], EY[G], AF[S], IC[Amb], HH[G]
Originally Posted by trilobyte

Recently settled in Sydney and will be making approx 1 trip to UK annually, one trip to US annually and probably one other Asian trip. Almost all travel will be in C, occasional Y with family.
Having achieved SQ G status, should I stick with SQ?-I have been happy with them so far, or should I succumb to the company mantra of flying with QF?-they offer our company discounted fares. I am making my maiden C QF flight next week.

ABSOLUTELY SQ. No doubts!
Old Apr 21, 2005, 10:24 am

Programs: UA: 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador, Platinum IHG. Diamond: Hilton. Silver: Delta & Hyatt
Unhappy See Below

See Below

Last edited by UnitedFFinAsia; Apr 21, 2005 at 10:28 am Reason: Double Post
Old Apr 21, 2005, 10:26 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist

Hmmm, you are asking the people in the SQ forum so the answers will be quite predictable I guess . However, QF has improved from what I have heard lately but taking everything into consideration they are still not up to SQ standards. I would not choose them over SQ unless my company forces me to. Stick to SQ and continue to be a happy fellow Cheers ...
Old Apr 21, 2005, 10:27 am

Programs: UA: 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador, Platinum IHG. Diamond: Hilton. Silver: Delta & Hyatt
Wink SQ in My Book!!!!!!!!!!!

Singapore Airlines no Question. They are better and ofter cheaper. Other FT's chime in but SQ gets my vote for Service, Seats, and IFE. Also check out Skytrax Survey's on all airlines and judge for yourself.
http://www.airlinequality.com/StarRanking/ranking.htm
http://www.airlinequality.com/Airlines/SQ.htm
http://www.airlinequality.com/Airlines/QF.htm

Of course if the company will pick up the Tab on one but not the other QF is not so bad.
Happy Travels.
-UFFA
Old Apr 21, 2005, 11:00 am

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
I like the QF SKybed better than the SQ Spacebed. QF is also now installing VOD in all their planes. Catering is up to SQ standard. It's service where QF pales in comparison to SQ ....
Old Apr 21, 2005, 1:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
SQ every time. I choose to fly SQ as often as I can, I have status with QF because at times I have no choice but to fly with them but they are poor in just about every regard in comparison.
Old Apr 21, 2005, 1:25 pm

Have flown on QF in the past. Comapring SQ & QF, I would have to say I go for SQ ^ anytime, anyday. That extra mile of service. Just a personal / objective perspective.
Old Apr 21, 2005, 9:54 pm

SIA may be superlative with regards to service and schedules, but QF is progressively installing skybeds on all Australia-SIN flights. Skybeds from Perth, BNE, MEL, SYD now.

SQ only has spacebeds from SYD, and 1 out of 3 flights a day from MEL. None from BNE, PER or ADL.

In terms of seats, SQ will very soon have the worst product in J from PER, BNE and 2 out of 3 flights a day from MEL.

Hopefully SQ will relaunch Regional J soon (oooh those wavy seats!) and cap their definition of "regional" to flights that are no more than 5 hours. MEL, BNE, DXB, IST and CAI are 7-10 hours away from Singapore and are definitely not "regional" flights!

I know they are going to do a big product relaunch at the end of the year for their 773ER and A380 products. Hopefully it includes a relaunch of their Regional J product too!
Old Apr 22, 2005, 4:34 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by docpepz
SIA may be superlative with regards to service and schedules, but QF is progressively installing skybeds on all Australia-SIN flights. Skybeds from Perth, BNE, MEL, SYD now.

SQ only has spacebeds from SYD, and 1 out of 3 flights a day from MEL. None from BNE, PER or ADL.

In terms of seats, SQ will very soon have the worst product in J from PER, BNE and 2 out of 3 flights a day from MEL.

Hopefully SQ will relaunch Regional J soon (oooh those wavy seats!) and cap their definition of "regional" to flights that are no more than 5 hours. MEL, BNE, DXB, IST and CAI are 7-10 hours away from Singapore and are definitely not "regional" flights!

I know they are going to do a big product relaunch at the end of the year for their 773ER and A380 products. Hopefully it includes a relaunch of their Regional J product too!
You do have a point there. I would also hope that they get rid of the old J and F products on 773 and 772 (not the ER's) ASAP. Cheers ...
Old Apr 22, 2005, 5:19 am

Programs: ME, EK, LH, IC
Good points docpepz... Wasn't really impressed with F class flight I took from CAI-SIN back in December. Surprised to get space beds on short hops HKG-SIN-BKK-SIN. Hope they do revamp entire "older" fleet seating because it really diminishes the entire SQ experience IMHO.
Old Apr 22, 2005, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ G, QF
Thanks everyone for the suggestions...
..Yes, demue, I have posted to the SQ forum, so maybe i just wanted to affirm that all was still well with SQ and to see what effect the challenge laid down by QF with its skybed was having. --- It seems the consensus is "once an SQ always an SQ!"

BTW I am booked on the overnight C-Class flight from SYD-NRT next week with QF(SQ didn't suit due to time constraints), so I can see how things are shaping up... I hear however that QF use a creaky old 747-300 for that route, so maybe this will be a way of cementing my SQ loyalty!!
Old Apr 22, 2005, 10:25 am

... so maybe i just wanted to affirm that all was still well with SQ
No problemo that is what we are here for - to make sure you stick to SQ . Enjoy your flights.

Oh BEYFlyer I hope you got a SkySuite on your F-legs SIN-HKG-SIN-BKK-SIN as a SpaceBed would mean J class and be a downgrade Cheers ...

Last edited by demue; Apr 22, 2005 at 10:27 am
Old Apr 23, 2005, 5:08 am

Programs: ME, EK, LH, IC
Originally Posted by demue
Oh BEYFlyer I hope you got a SkySuite on your F-legs SIN-HKG-SIN-BKK-SIN as a SpaceBed would mean J class and be a downgrade Cheers ...
Thanks for that correction demue... Just goes to show what a seasoned SQ traveller I really am ... BTW no SkySuite on my SIN-HKG portion, just regular seats in 2 rows of 2-2-2 configuration with 11 pilots in First with me .
Old Apr 23, 2005, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by docpepz

Qantas also have Skybed out of Adelaide and Darwin on the thrice-weekly QF 81/82. The Adelaide/Darwin route is also the first Singapore route to have AVOD, in addition to Hong Kong (A330 services) and Shanghai services

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.