FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BYOM: Bring Your Own Magazines
View Single Post
Old May 28, 2005, 5:39 pm
nwaflygirl

Originally Posted by abezebabe
I fly from IND, and NWA is my airline of choice. While I certainly do not fly on every plane leaving from IND, I've been on quite a few this year, and since the mini-hub changes, and I have not been on ONE half-empty plane. FWIW.
In total agreement there, in the past 4 years or so, I have never, and I mean never worked a flight out of IND that wasn't capacity or very close. The same applies to MKE.

Just remember, these cuts are "what the customer wants".

Also, absolutely true. The flying public has overwhelmingly said that they want cheap tickets, cheaper tickets, and bus fare tickets. This is impossible to provide without sacrificing amenities. You want Southwest caliber, you got it.

Either NWA should tell their cleaners to keep them stocked, or NWA should rip out the magazine storage bins

Cleaners? What cleaners? Most of these employees were cut from the program long ago. It is now some outsourced service, we are fortunate if they show up. Restock magazines? Yeah, okay. Rip out the magazine racks? A bit harsh, no? The reason the selection leaves much to be desired is the simple fact that passengers keep them. Check a magazine rack at the beginning of the publishing month. Packed full.

Reducing these amenities does not guarantee that the fares will be lower, you're correct there, however, they will remain competitive with LCC's. Who I might add, are not operating on the scale that NWA is by any stretch of the imagination. You want a legacy carrier that provides domestic and international service, with fine cuisine and top-notch amenities, but at prices of a greyhound fare. It's just not possible to operate an airline of NWA's size, fleet and operation, in today's ecomomy, this way.