Wiki Posts
Search

BYOM: Bring Your Own Magazines

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2005, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NWA Plat, Hilton Gold, NWA WorldClubs
BYOM: Bring Your Own Magazines

If you don't already do so, you will want to bring your own reading material when flying the Red Tail.

Effective 31May05, NWA will no longer provide magazines on board its aircraft or in the WorldClubs. Frankly, I don't believe the selection was so great anyway...but in a pinch, it sure beat having to read WorldTraveler or flipping through the SkyMall catalog.

Anyone care to venture a guess at what the next target of the cost-cutting ax will be?
Old May 27, 2005, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
OMG you have to be kidding? In the world clubs as well? Is this really going to save that much money? Unbelievable!
Old May 27, 2005, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by GTITAN
OMG you have to be kidding? In the world clubs as well? Is this really going to save that much money? Unbelievable!
Considering my local Car-X has an entire Barnes & Noble worth of Magazines sitting in the waiting room its amazing Northwest is doing this. I figured they received these mags free or at a discount anyways for putting them in public areas. Maybe someone should start a thread about what else Northwest can cut, Air Sickness Bags perhaps?
Old May 27, 2005, 1:41 pm

Programs: Fly Amtrak, Go Greyhound! I'm often wrong but always sincere.
Keep those cuts coming Nothwest, it is obvious we can expect a ticket to get us from point A to point B with less ameneties and at a higher cost than the LCC's. As far as Worldclubs, maybe this is the start of lowering our expectations to where we will be glad to have a quiet place to sit with a private bathroom and the chance to buy everything else from food to drinks to magazines & newspapers?. Man, this is becoming less fun
Old May 27, 2005, 1:54 pm

Programs: Delta PM; Sheraton's Vistana BOD; SPG Gold
What's your source of information?
Old May 27, 2005, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NWA Plat, Hilton Gold, NWA WorldClubs
Originally Posted by yogimax
What's your source of information?
Inside source quoted from the FA briefing.
Old May 27, 2005, 2:01 pm

Programs: Delta PM; Sheraton's Vistana BOD; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by RichMSP
Inside source quoted from the FA briefing.
Please elaborate
Old May 27, 2005, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO One Pass Nothing, SPG Gold
They should just eliminate the planes. Quit dancing around the problem and get right to the source...lol.

Seriously though...NW is getting a bit crazy.
Old May 27, 2005, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Frankly, I don't believe the selection was so great anyway...
Heh, I was on a MSP-CMH flight last week and they had a Newsweek
and 3 copies of Ebony (same month). After I grabbed the Newsweek,
a fellow pax went up to check out the selection. I'll never forget the
... expression on his face.
Old May 27, 2005, 2:44 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Actually, in the months after 9/11, NWA did cut magazines from the WorldClubs and planes for a few months, but they were back fairly soon. You know, if we complain about them enough they might bring them back. I'm SURE they are very cheap for NW, since the titles are constantly changing, depending on who is selling them for next to nothing (or giving them to NW--some of those odd magazines COULDN'T have been been paid for, could they?
I don't like this cut at all..... how about the newspapers at the WCs, too?
Old May 27, 2005, 2:47 pm

Anyone care to venture a guess at what the next target of the cost-cutting ax will be?
If NW stops inventing its own ideas, they can follow US and DL and eliminate glassware in first class.
Old May 27, 2005, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
This is getting absolutely rediculous. First IFE was removed, then meals were slimmed down then removed, then pillows were taken away, now spinzels and magazines? You can bet that the minute they can, they'll start charging for soda too. This is sad -- and I think flying CO is now becoming even more attractive. Meals at mealtime, IFE -- and don't they still have pillows?

Tell me, what are the benefits of flying a major compared to a discount airline? Are there any? FC upgrades are getting harder and harder to come by, and FF miles are increasingly difficult to use. Or, can NW now be considered a high-fare "discount" airline?!
Old May 27, 2005, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO One Pass Nothing, SPG Gold
This is a big reason why I have forgone the higher UG rate and stuck with CO as my main carrier. NWA seems to be falling apart right now.
Old May 27, 2005, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
The only magazine I really valued on NW was The Economist and even then, the issues were frequenty out of date (sometimes by nearly a month).

At any rate, some premium carriers such as BA haven't had any magazines, except the inflight one, in their main lounges. Early last year, BA was only providing newspapers in its LHR lounges which it got free from papers trying to boost circulation numbers.

It's going to be a long trans-Pacific flight w/o anything.
Old May 27, 2005, 4:14 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
This is getting absolutely rediculous. First IFE was removed, then meals were slimmed down then removed, then pillows were taken away, now spinzels and magazines? You can bet that the minute they can, they'll start charging for soda too. This is sad -- and I think flying CO is now becoming even more attractive. Meals at mealtime, IFE -- and don't they still have pillows?

Tell me, what are the benefits of flying a major compared to a discount airline? Are there any? FC upgrades are getting harder and harder to come by, and FF miles are increasingly difficult to use. Or, can NW now be considered a high-fare "discount" airline?!
IFE was removed years ago and has nothing to do with recent cuts in service. Not really an issue! Meals were a 2002 change.

The bottom line is that most people will fly a to B because of price not because of on board service.

I do not like it but that is the way most americans (FTs and non-FTs) look at flying right now. NW is really looking at what people are willing to accept in terms of service reduction.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.