FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - It's official, FlightFund to be absorbed into DM
Old May 21, 2005, 5:16 am
dukeman

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold,MR Gold, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by Robertsonland
Forgive my ignorance but is there a cap on the number of miles you can "roll over" to the following year? If there is no cap and say you fly 175K in a year. Meaning you need 25K to make CP quals for the next year. Now you need to give US 25K of your miles and then you could technically go to another airline and be assured of CP for the following year meaning US could lose your business for most of a year.

Whereas if you dont' rollover and have to re-earn 100K each year then US is "guaranteed" 100K out of you every year instead of say 175K then only 25K. They could potentially lose you as a customer for the better part of the year instead of losing you as a customer for say 3 months out of the year.

I would like the rollover but I'll prolly top out at 110K this year as I do only domestic flights and only 1 rt per week so yeah getting that extra 10K would be nice to start the year over with but I could easily see them "dropping" this part of DM at least up front.

Lance
No cap. I started this year with over 50K from rollover, others had many more going back to the days of GOM. I can see both sides of the argument for/against rollover. However, looking at your rationale the airline would lose the additional 75K from one year. Ultimately the lost revenue would be about the same unless there are dramatic shifts in pricing or flying behavior. And while some flyers would only be lost for the 3 months you suggest, I could stop flying US today and still be CP next year. That is over 6 months of lost revenue.....