Wiki Posts
Search

It's official, FlightFund to be absorbed into DM

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2005, 4:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
It's official, FlightFund to be absorbed into DM

Hopefully all the great aspects of the DM program will be retained. I don't mind the 100K tier miles for top tier but there will probably be a lot of whining from AW folk who fly between 75K and 100K a year. Of course, with the greatly expanded route structure, they should be able to hit 100K with the merged entity.

From the Q&A in the email:

What will happen to my frequent flyer miles?
Once the merger is approved, our frequent flyer programs will be combined under the Dividend Miles brand. Your mileage balance is secure and will be transferred into the combined program.
Old May 20, 2005, 4:49 am

Programs: US Airways Chairman's Preferred, NWA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
If they have any sense they'll convert the top tier to CP regardless. They may well drop the CP qualification level to 75k -- it's not like they're in a position of strength with the customer base nor is it at all unusual in the competitive landscape.
Old May 20, 2005, 5:38 am

Programs: US1
We have NO idea what will happen. I am sure there will be a grace period and probably many of the top tier on HP will be converted to CP based on their travel patterns, how much they paid ect. I don't think the top tier will drop to 75k. However, who knows. That is anyones guess at this point.

Before the merger HP had limited East coast routes and no European destinations. Now that that is possible I am sure that they will keep the 100k tier. Or maybe they will come to a compromise. Hard to say at this point.
Old May 20, 2005, 8:24 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum & Million Miler. Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by US AIRWAYS FAN
We have NO idea what will happen. I am sure there will be a grace period and probably many of the top tier on HP will be converted to CP based on their travel patterns, how much they paid ect. I don't think the top tier will drop to 75k. However, who knows. That is anyones guess at this point.

Before the merger HP had limited East coast routes and no European destinations. Now that that is possible I am sure that they will keep the 100k tier. Or maybe they will come to a compromise. Hard to say at this point.
Seems to me the solution is simple. Add a new 75k tier to the plan. I think US should've done this anyway. Why should one have to DOUBLE their travel to hit the next tier in a program. Do your tiers in 25k increments. I would've been doing MR's or other unecessary trips like crazy at the end of last year if there was a 75k tier since I came in at around 70k miles for the year.

Sean
Old May 20, 2005, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stiphy
Seems to me the solution is simple. Add a new 75k tier to the plan. I think US should've done this anyway. Why should one have to DOUBLE their travel to hit the next tier in a program. Do your tiers in 25k increments.
The only question I'd have if they added a tier is what would be the real benefit to the program? The biggest advantage I see (based on the published benefits) of CP over GP is the CP desk and clearing upgrades at the 7 day window. I'm not sure how you could add a tier between GP & CP without diluting the benefits to one or both levels.
Old May 20, 2005, 8:38 am

What Doug Parker has said is that they will take the best features of both plans... they haven't decided any of the details yet. Those will come in the ensuing months.
Old May 20, 2005, 8:39 am

Programs: US Airways Chairman's Preferred, NWA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Top tier qualification requirements:

AA 100k
UA 100k
US 100k
HP 75k
NW 75k
CO 75k
DL 75k

Given the rather loose coupling between US & UA (just about the only benefit to being CP when you fly UA is that you can get an E+ seat...) I see no advantage to keeping the top tier mileage requirements aligned. It would be different if there was a recipricol upgrade arrangement like NW & CO have.
Old May 20, 2005, 9:51 am

Programs: AA Platinum, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Platinum HH Gold
CP carryover

Hopefully they keep the CP mileage carryover . . . .
Old May 20, 2005, 10:05 am

Programs: US1
If they reduce it to 75K you can bet the carryover will go bye bye. Does any other carrier have the carryover?

T
Old May 20, 2005, 10:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold,MR Gold, Avis CHM
If they reduce it to 75K you can bet the carryover will go bye bye. Does any other carrier have the carryover?

T

I don't disagree with that thinking; however, they need to offer something for going above the mileage threshold or risk losing elites to other carriers in the 2nd half of the year. UA offers additional SWUs for every 25K above 1K.
Old May 20, 2005, 10:13 am

T
As I recall they're copying DL on the subject. And DL is 75k for top tier. I'm not sure if anyone else does it on a "pure" basis. A vague memory tells me that someone does the carryover but only for those who hit 125%+ of the target. Or something like that.

In any event it is a great benefit that costs them practically nothing. In the state they're in they can't have too many of those I expect it to remain -- irregardless of any possible adjustment to the top tier qualification level.
Old May 20, 2005, 10:16 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum & Million Miler. Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by wr_schwab
The only question I'd have if they added a tier is what would be the real benefit to the program? The biggest advantage I see (based on the published benefits) of CP over GP is the CP desk and clearing upgrades at the 7 day window. I'm not sure how you could add a tier between GP & CP without diluting the benefits to one or both levels.
The new "Platinum Preferred" gets upgrades at the 5 day window (1-3-5-7 seems to make sense) so they are in line behind the CP's but ahead of GP's. Other benefits could be scaled accordingly. It just seems like the gap between GP and CP is pretty large. Of course the other solutions would either be to drop down the CP level to that of CO's top tier, or increase the GP level to say 65,000 miles but I don't know that either of these would be as popular as adding a tier.

Sean
Old May 20, 2005, 10:17 am

I don't expect to see anything negative happen with respect to the airlines respective mileage programs.

We're the customers. The money comes from us. They're in no position to be aggravating us.
Old May 20, 2005, 10:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold,MR Gold, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by TomBascom
I don't expect to see anything negative happen with respect to the airlines respective mileage programs.

We're the customers. The money comes from us. They're in no position to be aggravating us.
Agreed, but that hasn't stopped the folks in CCY before. I'm hoping Doug and the HP gang won't rock the boat.
Old May 20, 2005, 10:29 am

The disease known as CCY is history or this whole thing will fail.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.