FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - is it really that bad?
View Single Post
Old May 13, 2005, 1:06 pm
Kyle53719

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K GS, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Gold, Avis Chairman, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by BearX220
What?? Of course it will. DC as a stand-alone product was known for a higher level of personal service that made it a better product than American Express and a FAR better product than a standard-issue Mastercard. DC as a Mastercard variant loses that edge, but they don't intend to charge any less for it.

While I take shots at Mastercard for being pre-approved for dogs, etc., the fact is that merging DC and MC is at least dumb brand management. You can't put a premium brand on a basic chassis and claim it's still a premium product, 'cos nobody buys it. Cadillac, to cite one example, almost got wiped out that way.
I absolutely agree with you with what has happened to Diners Club. What I was trying to convey is that irregardless of the stamp of acceptance on the piece of plastic--whether it be Visa, MC, Amex, etc--it is the service and benefits that matter. I believe others were saying that the DC Mastercard would loose its "status" symbol as more Mastercards, and DC Mastercards will be in circulation after the alliance. I thought the "status" statement was a poor way to characterize what most people should care about when they apply for a credit card.

You are right thought that the DC brand has diluted itself with the Mastercard alliance due to the loss of some central benefits and the new poorly management customer service.