FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Boston to New York Shuttle in the future?
Old Mar 10, 2005, 8:49 am
Cohiba

Addressing two previous posts:

Originally Posted by justageek
The Acela is 3.5 hours and I don't think it has ever arrived on time. (Just for fun I picked one daily Acela train and tracked its arrival time for a month; never once did it arrive on time.)
You are correct, there are many occasions that the Acela does not run on time, however, that is not the driving factor for the market sector that frequents the Acela. Things such as hassle, comfort and work ability are the determining criteria. You would be surprised how productive and enjoyable 3.5 hours can be when you have no limits on your use of technology, no airport security headaches, get door-to-door service from Midtown Manhattan to Back Bay or Financial District, a comfortable seat with good legroom, have the option of a quiet reading space and have the option for decent food and unlimited drinks.

Plus, let's not forget. Add in the journeys to/from LGA and BOS, LGA delays, security checks, etc. and I personally do not feel the time difference is all that significant.

Originally Posted by JS
This plan makes no sense. JetBlue started in order to provide air service on high-priced routes such as JFK-BUF and JFK-Los Angeles (LGB).

Why would JetBlue want to enter a saturated market? There are already four airlines flying BOS-NYC/EWR. While the walk-up fare during peak times is still relatively high ($200), most people, I guess, pay much less than that. You can get off-peak flights for around 100 bucks.
Keeping what I have written above in mind, I will continue to say that I do think this plan by B6 makes sense. For example, the lowest published fare for any date beyond mid-May on AA, DL, UA, US is currently $190 r/t, $208 r/t mid-week. This price is comparable to the Acela. Therefore, with relatively equal fares, people like me are going to opt for the train for all the reasons above. However, if JetBlue offered me a consistent year-round r/t price of about $100, I would then reconsider my spending habits.

For the crowd that likes flying this route, I think the consistency is key. Sure the big four sometimes offer round trips closer to $100, but the average traveller gets tired of having to find out when its $100, $150 or $225, etc. Knowing that B6 is $50 each way will draw much attention and business.

Secondly, many people I know and I (yes, it is anecdotal, but still worthwhile I think) have high respect for JetBlue, which cannot be said in relation to the four airlines mentioned above.

Also, I think flights between BOS and JFK, not LGA is a good thing. Throw in the fact that there are many New Englanders who want to be able to get to NY to connect to cheap flights to many other destinations not served out of Logan.

All this tells me that this is a good idea. I welcome it and if it comes to pass, I can see myself utilizing both JetBlue and the Acela on this route.

Cheers.

Last edited by Cohiba; Jul 21, 2005 at 8:52 pm