Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Boston to New York Shuttle in the future?

Old Mar 8, 2005, 11:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles Gold, Hilton HHonors Diamond, and Royal Caribbean Pinnacle Club

From the last portion of an article about Delta and how their removing pillows from there planes... Anotehr reason to fly jetBlue: Pillows!
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/09/business/09delta.html

"Delta could soon face a challenge to its East Coast shuttle, from JetBlue Airways. JetBlue's chief executive, David G. Neeleman, said yesterday in Brazil that the airline planned to start a shuttle between New York and Boston.

Speaking at a conference, Mr. Neeleman said the shuttle would use some of the 100-seat commuter jets under production by Embraer, the Brazilian aircraft company.

According to Bloomberg News, Mr. Neeleman said the shuttle was high on JetBlue's list of uses for its new planes. He added the airline would probably charge about $100 round trip, less than Delta or US Airways generally charge for tickets bought at the last minute."
Old Mar 8, 2005, 11:59 pm

Programs: PC Gold; SPG AAA; HiHo Silver; Hrtz Gld; Emld Clb; UA NWA NoBody; VA EleVAte; WN MooMoo
A Boston to New York shuttle...

That's called a bus!!!
Old Mar 9, 2005, 8:59 am

Programs: United 1K
Still easier and cheaper to take the Chinese $20 rt bus between NY and BOS.
Old Mar 9, 2005, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA, B6, a little DL here and there
http://www.boston.com/business/artic...on_ny_service/
Old Mar 9, 2005, 1:27 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver. Back of the plane on everyone else.
Problem is that you arrive at JFK, not LGA - not as convenient. They have indicated that this would be on the Embraer jets, as opposed to the Airbuses, they are big enough that they aren't the Barbie Jets. I would think that even with JFK, JetBlue would do well on these flights - there are enough people who know their name now and think they offer a superior product at a value that I would imagine flights would be pretty full. Can't tell if this ends up as anything resembling a money maker, or if they take a loss here for the sake of offering an appealing product.
Old Mar 9, 2005, 3:46 pm

Programs: Jetblue
Originally Posted by DC Mike
Problem is that you arrive at JFK, not LGA - not as convenient. They have indicated that this would be on the Embraer jets, as opposed to the Airbuses, they are big enough that they aren't the Barbie Jets. I would think that even with JFK, JetBlue would do well on these flights - there are enough people who know their name now and think they offer a superior product at a value that I would imagine flights would be pretty full. Can't tell if this ends up as anything resembling a money maker, or if they take a loss here for the sake of offering an appealing product.
JFK is only 8 miles past LGA. People seem to think that it is dozens of miles past Laguardia. And you make up the time in the air. There are rarely delays at JFK, while all the times i have flown to LGA, I have ended up circling in the air to make room. And with the new train, it shouldn't be that much of a problem.
Old Mar 9, 2005, 5:14 pm

Programs: DL SM, Marriot PLT, Tall guy in need of legroom
Originally Posted by prhs1989
JFK is only 8 miles past LGA. People seem to think that it is dozens of miles past Laguardia. And you make up the time in the air. There are rarely delays at JFK, while all the times i have flown to LGA, I have ended up circling in the air to make room. And with the new train, it shouldn't be that much of a problem.

YUP...Ive honestly never had a signifcant delay into JFK. LGA is a tragic story..circling for 25-30 mins, sitting on tarmac for 1-2 hrs..you name it, it can happen at LGA. Im sorry but for <$150 RT from JFK-BOS, Id be all over this flight as would half of my company.
Old Mar 9, 2005, 5:38 pm

Programs: Skyteam Elite, Starwood Gold, Kmart ShopYourWay Rewards
Originally Posted by jaguar
Still easier and cheaper to take the Chinese $20 rt bus between NY and BOS.
Actually, it's now $15 each way, with Greyhound, Fung Wah, and a bunch of other companies all offering hourly (or more often) service.
And don't forget the train service, US Airways Shuttle, and American Eagle (almost a shuttle), and perhaps even Continental, all with options to NYC.
Old Mar 9, 2005, 6:35 pm

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
The Acela is 3.5 hours and I don't think it has ever arrived on time. (Just for fun I picked one daily Acela train and tracked its arrival time for a month; never once did it arrive on time.)
Old Mar 9, 2005, 10:42 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
This plan makes no sense. JetBlue started in order to provide air service on high-priced routes such as JFK-BUF and JFK-Los Angeles (LGB).

Why would JetBlue want to enter a saturated market? There are already four airlines flying BOS-NYC/EWR. While the walk-up fare during peak times is still relatively high ($200), most people, I guess, pay much less than that. You can get off-peak flights for around 100 bucks.

There are probably 1,000 city pairs out there with no non-stop service having the demand needed to fill these Embraer planes.
Old Mar 10, 2005, 8:49 am

Addressing two previous posts:

Originally Posted by justageek
The Acela is 3.5 hours and I don't think it has ever arrived on time. (Just for fun I picked one daily Acela train and tracked its arrival time for a month; never once did it arrive on time.)
You are correct, there are many occasions that the Acela does not run on time, however, that is not the driving factor for the market sector that frequents the Acela. Things such as hassle, comfort and work ability are the determining criteria. You would be surprised how productive and enjoyable 3.5 hours can be when you have no limits on your use of technology, no airport security headaches, get door-to-door service from Midtown Manhattan to Back Bay or Financial District, a comfortable seat with good legroom, have the option of a quiet reading space and have the option for decent food and unlimited drinks.

Plus, let's not forget. Add in the journeys to/from LGA and BOS, LGA delays, security checks, etc. and I personally do not feel the time difference is all that significant.

Originally Posted by JS
This plan makes no sense. JetBlue started in order to provide air service on high-priced routes such as JFK-BUF and JFK-Los Angeles (LGB).

Why would JetBlue want to enter a saturated market? There are already four airlines flying BOS-NYC/EWR. While the walk-up fare during peak times is still relatively high ($200), most people, I guess, pay much less than that. You can get off-peak flights for around 100 bucks.
Keeping what I have written above in mind, I will continue to say that I do think this plan by B6 makes sense. For example, the lowest published fare for any date beyond mid-May on AA, DL, UA, US is currently $190 r/t, $208 r/t mid-week. This price is comparable to the Acela. Therefore, with relatively equal fares, people like me are going to opt for the train for all the reasons above. However, if JetBlue offered me a consistent year-round r/t price of about $100, I would then reconsider my spending habits.

For the crowd that likes flying this route, I think the consistency is key. Sure the big four sometimes offer round trips closer to $100, but the average traveller gets tired of having to find out when its $100, $150 or $225, etc. Knowing that B6 is $50 each way will draw much attention and business.

Secondly, many people I know and I (yes, it is anecdotal, but still worthwhile I think) have high respect for JetBlue, which cannot be said in relation to the four airlines mentioned above.

Also, I think flights between BOS and JFK, not LGA is a good thing. Throw in the fact that there are many New Englanders who want to be able to get to NY to connect to cheap flights to many other destinations not served out of Logan.

All this tells me that this is a good idea. I welcome it and if it comes to pass, I can see myself utilizing both JetBlue and the Acela on this route.

Cheers.

Last edited by Cohiba; Jul 21, 2005 at 8:52 pm
Old Mar 10, 2005, 10:05 am

Programs: Skyteam Elite, Starwood Gold, Kmart ShopYourWay Rewards
Originally Posted by Cohiba
Secondly, many people I know and I (yes, it is anecdotal, but still worthwhile I think) have high respect for JetBlue, which cannot be said in relation to the four airlines mentioned above.

Also, I think flights between BOS and JFK, not LGA is a good thing. Throw in the fact that there are many New Englanders who want to be able to get to NY to connect to cheap flights to many other destinations not served out of Logan.

All this tells me that this is a good idea. I welcome it and if it comes to pass, I can see myself utilizing both JetBlue and the Acela on this route.

Cheers,
Chris
I think portions of your analysis may be somewhat flawed. IMHO, Delta and US Airways shuttle have high reputations, as does American. UA doesn't operate a shuttle but sells through US Airways. UA also has a high reputation with the target audience due to their new Premium Service (PS) transcon flights (www.unitedps.com) Plus, BOS-JFK won't be on B6 mainline, so it won't have the same feel.

And New Englanders connecting in NY? Usually that's for international flights. There's already a good presence of many airlines in BOS. Where would B6 go from JFK (and not have service from BOS) that would attract a lot of connecting pax? Maybe a few carribean destinations or maybe places like PHX and PDX, but most destinations already have nonstop service from BOS on many different airlines. Plus, WN at MHT/PVD may draw those suburban dwellers away from BOS. I'm not sure if pure connections can support numerous BOS-JFK flights. Add in O/D, a few flights, sure. But an hourly (or every two-hour) shuttle...maybe. It'd be really funny if DL Shuttle became Song...but seriously, a 757 is too big for that route.
Old Mar 10, 2005, 4:44 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
Even the major airlines, having a significant number of JFK international flights on their own metal or partner airlines, fly BOS-JFK (and PIT-JFK, etc.) only in the afternoon and back. They don't fly all day long, because there isn't the demand. JetBlue would be lucky to get 5 people to fly BOS-JFK who are connecting to an international flight. The Shuttle has always been intended to be O&D, though you can use it to make a connection.

A Song 757 (well, any 757 in all-coach configuration) might be too big for the BOS-LGA Shuttle today, but it won't be too big if Delta has to match a $50 one way fare. I bet that the number of people who would switch from the train or bus (or staying home) to flying for a $50 fare is going to range from a lot to a whole lot!
Old Mar 10, 2005, 5:29 pm

Programs: Jetblue
Originally Posted by JS
Even the major airlines, having a significant number of JFK international flights on their own metal or partner airlines, fly BOS-JFK (and PIT-JFK, etc.) only in the afternoon and back. They don't fly all day long, because there isn't the demand. JetBlue would be lucky to get 5 people to fly BOS-JFK who are connecting to an international flight. The Shuttle has always been intended to be O&D, though you can use it to make a connection.

A Song 757 (well, any 757 in all-coach configuration) might be too big for the BOS-LGA Shuttle today, but it won't be too big if Delta has to match a $50 one way fare. I bet that the number of people who would switch from the train or bus (or staying home) to flying for a $50 fare is going to range from a lot to a whole lot!
I don't think Jetblue has any interest in connecting flights. Jetblue already does a shuttle. (I believe every 1.5 to 2 hours in the summer) It is LGB-OAK. There already is a lot of competition in that market, but they have no problem filling seats for 29 each way. And I still don't buy the argument of LGA over JFK. Having flown, many times, from both, I still prefer JFK. It may be 15 minutes closer, but you will most likely be delayed. And what a move for delta that would be. We may lose more money by lowering fares, but we need that marketshare.

P.S. It is a mainline flight. The E190 are not regional jets. Most businessmen don't know the differences of the different planes. They just want comfort. The 190 actually has MORE pitch then the A320(throughout the entire cabin). It is 34". And from what I have heard of the 170, they are really comfortable. I am actually looking forward to this new plane because of its comfort.

Last edited by prhs1989; Mar 10, 2005 at 5:34 pm
Old Mar 10, 2005, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by prhs1989
I don't think Jetblue has any interest in connecting flights. Jetblue already does a shuttle. (I believe every 1.5 to 2 hours in the summer) It is LGB-OAK. There already is a lot of competition in that market, but they have no problem filling seats for 29 each way. And I still don't buy the argument of LGA over JFK. Having flown, many times, from both, I still prefer JFK. It may be 15 minutes closer, but you will most likely be delayed. And what a move for delta that would be. We may lose more money by lowering fares, but we need that marketshare.

P.S. It is a mainline flight. The E190 are not regional jets. Most businessmen don't know the differences of the different planes. They just want comfort. The 190 actually has MORE pitch then the A320(throughout the entire cabin). It is 34". And from what I have heard of the 170, they are really comfortable. I am actually looking forward to this new plane because of its comfort.
Jet Blue LGB-OAK is hardly a shuttle.

Businessmen don't know the difference between planes? Are you kidding? Do you read these boards? They KNOW the difference between a regional jet and a mainline jet. Having said that, I agree that the 190 is closer to a smallish mainline jet than a regional jet.

Given the way the RASM is going down at Jet Blue, the load factors are going down and their costs are going up - I wouldn't think opening up a money losing route would be a smart move for them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.