FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old cellphone died - where to buy new one?
Old Feb 16, 2005, 1:45 pm
Dianne47

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
Old cellphone died - where to buy new one?

My old Nokia (basic candybar) cellphone died a couple of weeks ago and I'm going nuts without it. Have been with AT & T for years, but I'm out of contract now---yea! I'm a highly analytical type, so deciding on a new provider and phone is proving very difficult.

My research shows the only way to get a free or near-free new phone is to change companies. T-Mobile gets high ratings here in PHX and my husband is happy with his company phone on T-Mobile service.

So I think I'll switch to a Get More plan with 600 minutes and free nites & weekends. I normally only use 100-200 minutes a month, but want the national coverage and free minutes for when I'm on trips. I only need a basic phone, no camera or frills, but if it's a flipphone I want the caller ID on the outside. The phones I'm considering are the Motorola VT180, Samsung e105, or Nokia 6010. I do want a GSM phone, hence going with T-Mobile, but it doesn't need to be unlocked. I can always get it unlocked later if I want to use it overseas.

With search function disabled here at FT, I've looked back through several pages of posts on Travel Technology for suggestions on where to buy. I visited howardforums, phonescoop, and a few others. I looked at 1800mobiles.com and they have GREAT deals on T-Mobile phones (like free activation, car charger, headset, no tax, free shipping---much better than the T-Mobile storefront). I also looked at letstalk.com and their deals are OK but not as good as 1800mobiles.

Here's the rub: I can't find any ratings or reviews on 1800mobiles, on bizrate or anywhere. Handing over my CC number to an unknown company is too scary. H-E-L-P!

Anyone bought a phone/plan from 1800mobiles? Any other vendor? Any help would be greatly appreciated.