FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Funny; Now is time for TSA boss "Admiral" Stone to drop the Navy title
Old Jan 25, 2005, 9:27 pm
MMA95D

Programs: United GS; Lufthansa Senator; Delta Gold: Marriott Titanium; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
RADM Stone is entitled to his rank, after all a military officer retains his commision regardless of retired status and is always subject to recall. And if I ran into him ever, I'd render the salute and military courtesies he is entitled to.

However, IMO the example followed by several retired Generals and Admirals of specifically NOT using it while the head of a civilian agency is more appropriate. E.g., Powell and Haig as Secretary of State, Marshall as Secretary of State/Defense, Scowcroft and Poindexter as National Security Advisor, etc. President Eisenhower went out of his way to ensure he did not appear present the image of an Army General during his term in office as well.

I (along with a great many others) am not happy with the decisions Stone has made as the head of the TSA. His use of a military title in the discharge of his civilian government service presents a view to the public that that he represents the Navy, even as the head of a non-military agency. When you implement or tacitly allow controversial (or in my opinion wrong) policy, you also have the potential to embarrass your parent service. I can only wonder how many people may have a worse opinion of the best Navy the world has ever seen now because of some of his decisions.

Regardless, and maybe more importantly, take a look at the original poster though...it seems our old friend the (banned) TSA Watch has returned to our Forum under another name.