Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Funny; Now is time for TSA boss "Admiral" Stone to drop the Navy title

Funny; Now is time for TSA boss "Admiral" Stone to drop the Navy title

Old Jan 25, 05, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Talking Funny; Now is time for TSA boss "Admiral" Stone to drop the Navy title

"The ships at the airport don't float" TSA "Admiral" Stone. Funny stuff
http://www.aspecialdayguide.com/tsaw...miralstone.htm
Old Jan 25, 05, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Community?!
Old Jan 25, 05, 2:25 pm
Senior Moderator/Moderator: United MileagePlus

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
I agree with techgirl's question. This post is much more appropriately moved to our Travel Security forum. Please follow it there. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, Community.
Old Jan 25, 05, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can't say I have ever waited more in anticipation for a reply to something as I am with Spiff in this thread.
Old Jan 25, 05, 3:50 pm
Suspended

Deleted

Last edited by Bart; Dec 30, 07 at 8:24 am
Old Jan 25, 05, 7:08 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver, Hertz 5 Star Gold
Exclamation Admiral?

On a similar discussion involving using my military ID at the security checkpoint, a TSA apologist stated:

Our branch of the service asked members not to do this...it is showboating....
OK, got it. I'm "showboating" as a mere Major, but if I were an Admiral,
I could be in charge of this organization.

Oh well, it's a job I suppose.....
Old Jan 25, 05, 7:20 pm
Suspended

Deleted

Old Jan 25, 05, 7:20 pm

Programs: 1 month free at curves,Subway Sub Club, Alameda Library
Our branch of the service asked members not to do this...it is showboating....
Now who said that??? a poodle..I think...
Old Jan 25, 05, 8:19 pm

Programs: 1 month free at curves,Subway Sub Club, Alameda Library
For those of you who are not familiar with the military, the use of retired rank is allowed under the customs and traditions of all military services.
LEX-LGA Commuter Basic MilitaryAcademy 101 information. He is entitled to that recognition

I still still don't understand your reference to using your Military ID at check points....
I am not sure how the ID would get you through as you implied… as Bart stated it is valid ID...BUT.....MY Husband travels often in full uniform and still is not waved through TSA check points nor does he expect to be…..but then he is not a retired Major....
Old Jan 25, 05, 10:27 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines, Delta, UA Premier 1K, Hawaiian Air
RADM Stone is entitled to his rank, after all a military officer retains his commision regardless of retired status and is always subject to recall. And if I ran into him ever, I'd render the salute and military courtesies he is entitled to.

However, IMO the example followed by several retired Generals and Admirals of specifically NOT using it while the head of a civilian agency is more appropriate. E.g., Powell and Haig as Secretary of State, Marshall as Secretary of State/Defense, Scowcroft and Poindexter as National Security Advisor, etc. President Eisenhower went out of his way to ensure he did not appear present the image of an Army General during his term in office as well.

I (along with a great many others) am not happy with the decisions Stone has made as the head of the TSA. His use of a military title in the discharge of his civilian government service presents a view to the public that that he represents the Navy, even as the head of a non-military agency. When you implement or tacitly allow controversial (or in my opinion wrong) policy, you also have the potential to embarrass your parent service. I can only wonder how many people may have a worse opinion of the best Navy the world has ever seen now because of some of his decisions.

Regardless, and maybe more importantly, take a look at the original poster though...it seems our old friend the (banned) TSA Watch has returned to our Forum under another name.
Old Jan 25, 05, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bstrickmma
Regardless, and maybe more importantly, take a look at the original poster though...it seems our old friend the (banned) TSA Watch has returned to our Forum under another name.

I was thinkin' the same thing.
Old Jan 25, 05, 10:53 pm
Suspended

Deleted

Old Jan 25, 05, 11:14 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines, Delta, UA Premier 1K, Hawaiian Air
Bart:

The examples I used was based on what the individuals named refered to themselves while serving in their position...not what the media, etc. may have refered to them as. Like I said, he is entitled to it as a retired Flag, I just don't think it is appropriate in his current position for the reasons I mentioned.

I'll give you that he probably has been great for the TSA as an organization...too bad I can't say the same for the travellers though. Common-sense leadership at the helm (pun intended) never would have allowed the patdown fiasco this past year and he has yet to halt the resource drain from shoe carnivals or secondary screenings based on outdated "threat criteria" . All examples of bad judgement in my opinion.

The intent of my posts is never to "bash" the TSA, but I would like them to be more effective since I (and everyone else) is paying for it. Your perspective is on here is valued though and I actually enjoy your posts, even though I'm apparently on a different planet. Agree to disagree?

Cheers,
Ben

Last edited by MMA95D; Jan 26, 05 at 12:03 am
Old Jan 26, 05, 3:46 am

Programs: CO-Dirt,SPG-Nothing,Marriott-Gold, Hilton-Blue, Hyatt-Plat, HI-Plat
Originally Posted by Bart

Perhaps the real problem is that we have a public that is ignorant of basic military customs and traditions? Of course, we're talking about a Playstation 2 society that couldn't name the first President of the United States or even current one in office.
George something or another, right?

Now back to GTA
Old Jan 26, 05, 6:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
From the same website:

There is nothing that you did in the US Navy that is more important than what you are doing now in directing the 45,000 dedicated men and women of the Transportation Security Administration. By your calling yourself "Admiral" you are telling we screeners, as we now risk our lives everyday for our fellow Americans, that this is your "retirement" job.

It is like we are your "step-children."

You are now responsible for the safety of the tens of thousands of people who fly the American skies each day and you are also responsible for the 45,000 screeners who search and find and you are also responsible for the 300,000,000 Americans who trust you to keep our economy rolling.

If they believe that, believing that Stone is no longer entitled to call himself "Admiral" is nothing!

Search this Thread