FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight
Old Mar 28, 2024, 9:09 am
Kmxu

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by julietnov
--------
Thanks so much for the warm welcome and speedy reply!

The Return flight is on Thursday May 9. Right now, it's $1350 to upgrade in cash each way, which is a bit steep (but I flew biz last summer to Europe and know the benefits).

I am correct in understanding that my odds are good only if it is PN & PZ "fares." If that happens, I can add myself to the list. If those don't appear, is it worth going on the waitist (at least one way before)?

I am not familiar with the "date trick" - I only just learned of these other fares and expert mode last night and have been trying to understand - are you able to point me in the right direction (step by step would be appreciated)?
It is very simple. On your smart device, change the date to your travel date. Open up united.com and find "flight status" then "Polaris upgrade" waitlist of your flight. You can only find out how many pax are on WL now. You will know your exact position on WL after requesting for upgrade. Meanwhile, you also check the "PremiumPlus upgrade" WL. Find the position of the first name appearing on both lists. You will be ahead of this person if requesting for upgrade now. This information will be useful before you decide on transferring miles.

If PZ is nonzero, you request for upgrade with miles+co-pay, you will get the seat immediately. If PZ is zero, you will be waitlisted. PN space (for Global Service's instruments) is always open before PZ space (for anyone else) is open. Because your trip is 25 days away, United can still sell a lot of tickets before opening up any space for upgrades. Your current WL position may be moved down if new pax with premier status who purchase PremiumPlus fare in the next 25 days.

Hope that these explanations do not confuse you too much. Good luck.

Add: Date trick is dead as mentioned by jsloan

Last edited by Kmxu; Mar 28, 2024 at 9:12 am Reason: Date trick