FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Changes to your Qualification Period
View Single Post
Old Mar 1, 2024, 7:44 am
Teplane

Programs: EI Concierge, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by FlightDetective
You're correct with your Silver example above.

If you are already at Concierge, Platinum or Silver, you are extended to 31 March 2025. If your look back calculation does not result in a higher tier, you will remain at your existing tier. There is no penalty, as you are being extended anyway.

You would only earn a new set of upgrade coupons if you go up to a new status level. That's my understanding of it, with your existing upgrade coupons extended to the 31 March 2025 date.
I suspect you're right. This effectively means that, for EI's most loyal flyers, depending on tier date, up to 9 months of earning for upgrade and companion coupons will be effectively discarded.

It's a little disappointing as they appear to have tried to design the process to ensure everyone gets treated well (in fact generously), but inadvertently accidentally created something that only affects their most loyal customers and actually hits them quite hard. In my case, I'm a November anniversary, so I only lose out on 1/3 year of benefits (ie 1.33 upgrades and 1/3 of a companion voucher), but for people with anniversaries earlier in the year, this will be a serious blow, considering that the main benefit of Concierge over Platinum is those vouchers.

C'est la vie though. At this stage I'm used to AerClub being quite generous and well-meaning, but the implementation being quite sloppy. For all its faults and frustrations, I get great use out of it, and across the board the front-line people at EI are just amazing.

Will report back if Concierge email comes back and says something different than what you (and me) suspect FlightDetective.

Last edited by Teplane; Mar 1, 2024 at 7:52 am