FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A
View Single Post
Old Jan 17, 2024, 1:43 am
jsloan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zoechow
But say you can expense any economy ticket, and you are very picky about seats, that is, willing to pay to make as sure as possible to get E+ and in particular an aisle E+. Is this so easy that I should buy regular E rather than E+ and just expect all to be well at check in?
If “any economy ticket” includes the Economy Plus fares that UA will publish on some routes, then book that and move on with your life. (Economy Plus is not always marketed as a separate fare, because it’s technically not — it’s a seat assignment within the Economy cabin). But I’d check my expense policy very carefully before I did that.

In the rather unlikely case that Premier Instant Upgrade space is available (you can find it in Expert Mode; if PZ>0, it’s available), then any purchase of a Y/B class fare can immediately be upgraded to First Class on complimentary upgrade routes (the ones WineCountryUA spelled out). These Economy Plus fares, when offered, usually count as B class fares. Note that Y/B fares are often considerably more expensive than just purchasing the first class seat — this perk is intended to appeal to people whose travel departments still operate in 1987 and insist upon fully unrestricted tickets for all travel, but who don’t allow first class travel even if it’s cheaper.

Also, is there some way to know in advance about the possibility of immediate upgrade, as rare as that is supposed to be?
See above for Premier Instant Upgrades. For the regular Complimentary Premier Upgrades (CPUs), you will see a list in the flight status a couple of days before travel.

oops - now I see -- manage booking shows that free upgrades automatically requested -- presumably, it would also say if they immediately cleared, so they did not.
As mentioned, for Silver members, CPUs aren’t eligible to clear until 24 hours prior to departure.

Still, should I have bought a fully refundable E (rather than E+) just to see if that immediately clears? (I just bought and so could easily cancel)
See above.

Ok, now I see that the fare search allows to specify an interest in upgrades. But I'm now confused at what I see there. When selecting, it quotes a 20k mileage amount and also says "upgrade waitlist". If I click through to get to the point of about to choose seats, one of them I chose says "upgrade available" (I am assuming this is what I will pay miles for) and the other still says "waitlist".)

I might be willing to pay those miles.

Do I have that right: if it says upgrade available and quotes mileage amount, I am locking in the upgrade at purchase?

And, if it says waitlist and quotes a mileage amount -- what? It will charge me the miles but maybe upgrade? It won't charge me the miles until I upgrade, and if I fail I'm stuck with a regular E seat?
It sounds like this is a connecting flight? If it says “Upgrade available,” the upgrade would clear immediately on that segment. If it says “Upgrade waitlisted,” you’d have to wait until / unless that clears. If it doesn’t clear — entirely possible — then you’d have whatever your existing seat was. SOP is to charge the entire number of miles upfront and then refund it if no segments clear.

If you buy Economy Plus as a separate purchase, and you also use miles to upgrade, the Economy Plus fee will be refunded if the upgrade clears. That is not the case if you buy one of the flights that is marketed as being an “Economy Plus ticket” during the purchase process.

Also, if you offer to pay the 20k miles to upgrade, does that put you ahead of those who would upgrade for free, on some kind of list? And, if so, I take it this increases the likelihood?
Yes, except that once it gets within 5 days of travel, CPUs for Global Services members would be above your mileage upgrade.

Originally Posted by SeamusSA
If you must have an E+ aisle seat, then buy it at the time of your purchase. On popular, elite heavy routes E+aisle seats are often gone by the time you are checking in for your flight.
That’s the best way to guarantee it, certainly. On routes where there are a few Premier members who do get upgraded, they’ll often get upgraded from desirable seats, so there is an argument for waiting in those cases, but it’s definitely not a guarantee.