FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 1K Population in 2024--Higher or Lower than 2023
Old Jan 5, 2024, 5:27 pm
zombietooth

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by Repooc17
United is unlikely to ever divulge such data, at least not in any granularity.

​​​​​​If OP is trying to use the data to gauge overall upgrade probability, even if the elite population is disclosed, still a crap shoot, as there are a lot of actors to consider.

A recent trend: airlines such as United have been mastering the art of upsell. You could be a GS, you could have "Chairman" status, but you may still be sitting in the back.

For example, just flew LAX to SFO, every single GS preboarded sat in economy; 1K preboarders, only 2 people settled in F, plus another pax in F during preboarding was in a pilot uniform.

If you want to sit up front, especially on domestic rights, the common advice here is buy F.
This is the truth. I am a 30-year 1K (lifetime now) and things have never been worse for upgrades. Buy-ups have been pretty good for me though, and I've found some fantastic discount international biz cabin fares on other carriers. I believe that the UG rate for 1Ks can only get worse as UA gets better at monetizing open premium cabin seats.