FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (master thd)
Old Jan 1, 2024, 3:16 am
grdnldy

Originally Posted by Happy
Indeed, the incompetent agents issue is not AA alone. AS has the same problem if not worse. The root clause of such is due to Pandemic many experienced agents left or being let go - for a very long period of time. Before Pandemic a lot of agents were already WFH - the reason I learned was on one call there was no background music while I waited, when agent returned I jokingly said I thought the phone went dead. She said, ah no, the background music connection was very poor full of statics for 2 years but I could not get someone to fix it. I did not want my customers suffered thru the bad noise, so when I had to ask Help Desk, I did not put the music on. "They" did not like it but I didn't want my customers to suffer. That was when I realized she was WFH. She said the particular difficulty was when they needed Help Desk, they often had to wait a very long time themselves to get thru...

So the WFH scenario has long existed before Pandemic, due to cost saving. After Pandemic, many agents did not return to their old jobs, so there are a lot of new hires. I have come across agents who told me they were on the job only a couple months, a few weeks, or just last 2 weeks - from both AA and AS. No doubt the new folks got Very Little trainings and hardly any work manuals to go by. Hence HUCA is the way to go as almost the only solution to get things done that in the past virtually all agents knew how to do it. Another version of HUCA is to call international numbers or foreign language numbers. In the past 2 yearsI was advised to call Australia or Singapore or Hong Kong in other threads of this forum.
I feel for these folks who are really trying their best to help frustrated customers, as you’ve said, not their fault they don’t have enough training. And working from home, without adequate support. Sad. Interesting idea about calling international numbers!