FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United’s 24-hour cancellation / flexible booking policy ...
Old Dec 20, 2023, 9:16 pm
Xyzzy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by dcpdxtrans
Yesterday, booked an int'l flight. Today, realized needed to move the departure back by one day and take a different routing. After booking 2nd flight and <24h prior to issuance of 1st ticket (but ~20min left), went to cancel ticket. Only option was a flight credit. I thought it was a .bomb issue.

I then called CS and rep told me I was over 24h and said I could only get a credit. I asked her what time ticket issued. I asked her current time. And she said it was still >24h difference.

SO, I explained the math. Then, she said, as a courtesy, she could cancel the ticket. Say what?!

She canceled ticket (and it is confirmed). I asked to know the basis for the problem, and she said thought it was a system issue. Not sure what that means, but that was a waste of time...
If I had a dollar for every "one time exception" I received from United... Also, UA does not always issue tickets immediately. You could have pressed the "buy" button and started the counter with the ticket not issuing until some time later. (I'm not sure how exactly they count the 24 hours).

Keep in mind that if they had nt refunded you, you could have taken the credit and applied it to the new day/routing you wanted with no fees or penalty.