FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Evaluating Air Canada’s Performance and competitive offering in 2023
Old Dec 15, 2023, 3:54 am
Transpacificflyer

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Dusit
Originally Posted by tracon
BKK goes daily for a couple months.
And continues service to the end of April.
Wasn't impressed by my experience. If customer is flying from YVR, it is ok if you do not mind the late departure and awful early return departure time from BKK. Connecting is a stressful event. My connection from YYZ required a 4 hour buffer to make it on time since my arrival into YVR was late. On return, onwards connections from YVR can be stressful if flight arrival is late and CBSA decides to do the Thailand bias search.The menu is similar to what you get on any other TPAC; 1 meal and one unpalatable breakfast of eggs or overcooked noodles. More expensive than the higher quality carriers.
From YYZ, EVA is $3,000 less expensive than AC depending on day. From YVR Cathay is $1200 less expensive. ANA has some excellent sale prices. Catering, OTP, ground and inflight service with these carriers are all better than AC. I did notice that a large number of pax in the J cabin on my flights were upgrades.

Originally Posted by foothills county flier
I don’t think it will effect AC at all with their premium pax(flex and up). The Aeroplan program really locks in these pax. I believe that low end/ holiday pax, is where Westjet can/will take pax away from AC, JAL and ANA.
I flew ICN route a few times. AC delivered a mediocre product. IMO, if Westjet can offer a consistent quality at a competitive price, consumers will go with West Jet. The problem West jet has is that it has lost its shine and is not any better than AC, so IMO pricing will be the difference.

My recent flight from NRT to BKK on TG was an eye opener. Very good catering, with a Japanese specialty meal (unlike AC's insult of Beef sukiyaki etc. on the NRT route) The wine selection was admirable and cabin crew polite and polished. More important to me was that my pod (B777) was roomier. No tray table to coffin me in and I could easily turn over at my seat. Arrived 30 minutes early and baggage was delivered within 15 minutes of my arriving at carousel. Best of all, the cabin temperature wasn't ridiculously hot. AC assumes that consumers will accept its inflated fares, for a low quality product. I suggest that any carrier with a better price can easily win over AC premium fare customers.