FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread
Old Sep 7, 2023, 10:49 am
uanj

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by fumje
The wiki is out of date. I just took a look, though, and couldn't decide how to update it. The exact rules aren't that clear to me, but they are definitely different than what they were (wiki reflects what they were).

I've gotten in with your scenario and been rejected with the same. My usual approach currently is to scan the Polaris BP, wait for the now-typical "where are you going??" question, and then fan out my BPs showing the separately-ticketed routing. Sometimes the agent will write a note adding access for me at all the airports. Not sure if this will match others' experiences, but this has typically worked for me in SFO, LAX and ORD, but not worked for me at EWR. There, I didn't get rejected out of hand, but after a bit of typing and clicking the agent settled on a flat no.
Funny, I have never been rejected at EWR but several times at IAD for violating the ever-expanding requirements which I am hearing now as: same calendar day and same itinerary. At EWR they look at the BP, try scanning it and when it does not work say "Like we would not welcome you Mr uanj after your international flight, please come in and enjoy." Honestly a bit surprising. I can fly from Asia to the US to Europe or vv within a 48 hour period so which international leg owns which connecting domestic flights is always a bit of a mystery to me.

At IAD the conversation goes like this: "you're flying to EWR and connecting to Europe. But the leg to EWR is the connection from yesterday's flight from HND so you can't come in, it's completely against the rules." No finesse in handling it whatsoever but I'm a big boy. Hardly the worst news I can get in a day.

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I don’t have a problem w/ UA doing this. What is SFO-EWR was an economy ticket or cheap P fare to circumvent a higher SIN-SFO-EWR fare? UA probably doesn’t want to reward such cleverness.
Well, a good travel agent can issue the ticket this way, and maybe you can do it on united.com as well as multiple cities. I know everyone has their preferences, but after international travel a Polaris lounge is about the last place I want to be.