FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Confusing Reason for Delay
View Single Post
Old Jul 29, 2023, 5:06 pm
jsloan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FAA1996
My 17yo nephew is on the flight (flew into IAD from BRU) and trying to be proactive as to what he'll have to do. Right now he's in the Polaris lounge but I think the flight will get canceled, not sure if he'll be entitled to a hotel or what. His parents are freaking out and I'm trying to help. Thanks!
Solo traveler?

UA has, in the past, gotten somewhat persnickety about whether or not purely domestic delays on an international itinerary are covered by EC.261. If your nephew is stuck overnight, he should ask about a hotel voucher but be prepared to be denied.

The bigger problem, though, would be his age. I’m not sure how many, if any, hotels allow unaccompanied 17-year-old guests, even with a prepaid hotel voucher.

What I’m seeing is a crew delay, probably caused by the bad weather on the east coast, with a possibility of further delays if they’re not able to get out before the next wave comes through. I wouldn’t immediately jump to the conclusion that the flight will be canceled, although neither can I rule out the possibility, of course.