FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Avios Earnings Change - Based on ££ Spent - booked after 18 Oct 23 (TPs unchanged)
Old Jul 18, 2023, 5:15 am
GM1985

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur
My gut instinct is that this does me no favours, but surprisingly on calculating my recent return on spend on some relatively expensive AMS and VIE rotations, it seems that I would be significantly better off under the new system (if I am correctly calculating) than under existing rules. I only got 750 Avios for a recent expensive AMS-LHR flight, which would equate to around £84 of spend on the new system- cannot remember the last time I managed to get anywhere near that price level for a single portion- it is usually double that for me on the flights that I get. So maybe I will reserve judgment- I have a feeling that in overall terms it might not make a huge difference for many, but it will obviously depend on flying patterns.
I agree this is an unwelcome change overall. A couple of interesting comparison points on two upcoming trips I have. One in August in WT+ when I will still be Silver. And one in late October in CW when I will be Gold. On the former trip, had the new fare-based earning regime applied, I would be up 2428 Avios. On the latter, with the loss of cabin and status bonuses, I would be down 4319 Avios. So bad news for Golds booking discounted I class fares. Comparatively better news for Silvers booking W fares.