FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Question: My 10-year old kid wants to sit alone, is it possible?
View Single Post
Old Jun 19, 2023, 11:36 am
mjrobson

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Accor Diamond, AC 35K, National Exec, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by visitor
Reading the document you quote, it appears this is for the case where the passengers WANT the child near them. See for example Section 5 of the document:

5. What to do if passengers cannot be seated together

If an airline has followed all the steps and is still unable to arrange seats within the required distance of each other, they should talk to the affected passengers about their options. The passengers may choose to sit farther apart, or decide not take the flight at all. [my bolding]

I stand by my interpretation.
The first part of what I said is what we were told by Air Canada in 2019, it is not an interpretation.

Originally Posted by lcohen999
....not exactly true.

I have left my 3 kids in Y and my wife and I had sat in J (all under 16) There were no issues.
What ages? UMS is unavailable under 8, mandatory between 8 and 11 and optional for 12-16.

I am surprised it's not called out more explicitly online, unless something has changed.

Emirates, for example, calls it out very specifically: https://www.emirates.com/ca/english/...irates-flight/