FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Grab car service now in Bangkok (Uber sold to Grab in SE Asia)
Old Jun 12, 2023, 4:57 pm
ftrichard

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by hijiji
Any recent updates about using Grab in Bangkok? Is it still a good way to use taxis?
How about the rent a car and driver by the hour service in the ap? 2 hours for 500 baht. Anyone used it recently?
I continue to use it when I'm in Bangkok - which is at least once a month these days - but the service levels have deteriorated since before the Great Plague. Mostly I'm calling cars from Silom or Sukhumvit areas.

Cars now seem to take longer to confirm the ride. They take longer to arrive (with more frequent scenarios where the car is dropping someone off nearby first). It is more often a taxi that turns up - though the pricing and charging is still done through the Grab app. But I still prefer to use Grab compared to flagging down a taxi and getting involved in all that.

I've used Bolt and InDrive in Phuket successfully when Grab was coming up with nonsense. Of course, none of this works effectively in Samui any more where - on the very rare occasion a taxi picks up your request on Grab following the demise of Navigo - you will be charged the extortionate regular taxi fare for your short journey.