FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Mileage Plus Branded Credit Card and Checked Baggage Fees
Old Jun 8, 2023, 11:19 am
Lux Flyer

Originally Posted by ddavid1101
Hi,

Trying to book flight to GCM Basic Economy with my Travel Bank funds. Trying to avoid checked baggage fees. I no longer have a United card but my wife still has one. Can I book the trip on my account with 99% travel bank funds and the remainder with her United card to qualify for free checked baggage? Any thoughts on this? I have never used the free checked bags feature from CC. Thanks! I also notice I cant add baggage at time of booking flight. I have to add it only within My Trip. which does not show a discount etc.
Is your wife travelling on the reservation? It's required for the card holder to be on the reservation, in addition to it being pay for with the card, for the bag benefit to apply. If that's the case then your plan should work. Another alternative is if you buy it fully with your travel bank and then if you make a change that requires a small "add-collect". If you pay the add-collect with the UA branded card, then it will also apply the benefits (assuming still the cardholder is one of the travelers).