FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Shipping awkward packages on BA/aa while travelling on a flight..
Old Sep 26, 2003, 1:25 am
bealine

Quote - I think it will fall outside of the allowed dimensions so will have to go as freight. Of the top of my head I don't know the allowed sizes

"Dimensions of each piece of baggage not to exceed 62 inches length and girth combined!"

What I would do, in your circumstances, is to telephone BA Sales and Reservations - give them the details of weight and dimensions and obtain an excess quote prior to your date of travel. If you pre-pay the Excess charges, they will issue an MCO (Miscellaneous Charges Order) and advise in the check-in entry that the item is pre-paid. This avoids the banter at check-in, as the rules concerning an item of this nature is open to interpretation!

Additionally, to avoid delaying the aircraft, (or worse, a "commercial" decision to leve the hardtop behind) our Load Planners like to be aware of excessively Heavy or Awkward items as early as possible in the game and this hardtop is Awkward 'cos you can't put heavy things on top of it! Alerting Sales and Res also means the Load Planners are aware!

Hope this helps you!

[This message has been edited by bealine (edited 09-26-2003).]

[This message has been edited by bealine (edited 09-26-2003).]