Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Shipping awkward packages on BA/aa while travelling on a flight..

Old Sep 25, 03, 12:15 am
Original Poster

I am thinking about shipping a hardtop for a convertible car, (a friend had the same car, but sold it, and is giving me a great deal on it) on a BA flight, while it won't weigh very much (i.e less than 100 pounds), it is bulky.. would BA ship this, as checked in luggage in the cargo hold, if I was on the flight ? I am wondering if I could avoid huge shipping costs, by doing this?
Old Sep 25, 03, 4:15 am

well... depending on what other baggage you could get clobbered with excess baggage charges..and they can be a lot more expensive, then shipping it as freight.
Old Sep 25, 03, 4:36 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
I think it will fall outside of the allowed dimensions so will have to go as freight. Of the top of my head I don't know the allowed sizes
Old Sep 25, 03, 6:35 am

Programs: A variety of precious-metal themed cards; MUCCI
It's almost certainly freight. While you could probably book it to go on the same flight as yourself (go to the BA cargo website for more info), I doubt you could make it clear customs to suit your timetable at the other end. FedEx will probably be simpler!
Old Sep 25, 03, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Take a look at https://www.britishairways.com/trave...club/en_gb/_gf and https://www.britishairways.com/trave...club/_gf/en_gb

Depending on the route, you may be able to take it as unaccompanied baggage which could be less expensive than cargo. 'Currently we are not able to accept unaccompanied baggage on flights from the USA.'

You might also check DHL, FedEx and the like. Their courier services can work out significantly less expensive than airlines'.

In these cases, you will need to take care of Customs documentation.

[edited to change accompanied to unaccompanied - I'll get the hang of this one day ...]

[This message has been edited by Roger (edited 09-25-2003).]
Old Sep 25, 03, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Try BA World Cargo:

Canada - Montreal (YUL)

Address: 705 Stuart Graham Nord,
Suite 24,
Dorval,
Quebec,
H4Y 1E7

Reservations: +(1) 514 633 9779
Facsimile: +(1) 514 633 9688
Old Sep 26, 03, 2:25 am

Quote - I think it will fall outside of the allowed dimensions so will have to go as freight. Of the top of my head I don't know the allowed sizes

"Dimensions of each piece of baggage not to exceed 62 inches length and girth combined!"

What I would do, in your circumstances, is to telephone BA Sales and Reservations - give them the details of weight and dimensions and obtain an excess quote prior to your date of travel. If you pre-pay the Excess charges, they will issue an MCO (Miscellaneous Charges Order) and advise in the check-in entry that the item is pre-paid. This avoids the banter at check-in, as the rules concerning an item of this nature is open to interpretation!

Additionally, to avoid delaying the aircraft, (or worse, a "commercial" decision to leve the hardtop behind) our Load Planners like to be aware of excessively Heavy or Awkward items as early as possible in the game and this hardtop is Awkward 'cos you can't put heavy things on top of it! Alerting Sales and Res also means the Load Planners are aware!

Hope this helps you!

[This message has been edited by bealine (edited 09-26-2003).]

[This message has been edited by bealine (edited 09-26-2003).]
Old Sep 27, 03, 2:21 am

I had a word with "the boys" when I was at work last night.

Whilst I am right about the dimensions for excess baggage calculation (max 62 inches length and girth combined), the absolute maximum size for accompanied hold baggage is 87 inches length and girth combined. Anything over these dimensions should be shipped as cargo.

Advance notice is needed for an item of this nature and, as it would travel in the "loose" cargo hold, you would be strongly advised to pack and wrap it well!

Give BA World Cargo a call, they'll be happy to help!

[This message has been edited by bealine (edited 09-27-2003).]
Old Sep 27, 03, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for all of your valuable input!

After following up on the info provided it's looking like the cost of getting a custom "shipping-proof" crate made, as well as the cost and bother of shipping is not going to be worth bringing it overseas. I spoke with BA about it, and they cautioned me against doing it. They were very helpful though. I think the sheer size and fragile nature of this item is cause for concern, and as careful as they are, and even if I buy insurance, I'm wondering if they would only pay me what I payed for it, if they damaged it. I'm awaiting a quote for the crate, adn then I'll make a final "dollars & sense" call on it.

Thanks again to everyone for their help and thoughts

Old Sep 27, 03, 2:01 pm

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
You could always wait for the next ice age and drive your car over with the hood down and a wooly hat on then go back with the comfort of a hard top
Old Sep 27, 03, 11:24 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CT-UK:
You could always wait for the next ice age and drive your car over with the hood down and a wooly hat on then go back with the comfort of a hard top </font>
;D I'll keep that one in mind, as a close second option...

Search this Thread