FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United’s 24-hour cancellation / flexible booking policy ...
Old Apr 10, 2023, 1:11 pm
jsloan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Prancer
I booked a domestic US ticket and then cancelled within 24 hours of booking. I assumed that I'd get a full refund of the fare.

However, the booking/cancellation was within 7 days of flight. Instead, I seem to have got a travel credit for a future flight. Is that SOP for United when you cancel within 24 hrs of booking, but within 7 days of travel? Or is this a mistake, and should I be contacting customer service for an actual refund?
SOP is a refund to the original form of payment. There have been a couple of cases recently where the computer seemed to get that wrong, especially if you were close to 24 hours. What did the website say when you tried to cancel?

UA does give itself an out to provide credit, instead of a refund, within 24 hours but also within 7 days of booking, as allowed by the DOT, but I only remember one person saying UA wouldn't refund, and lots of other people (myself included) who have had no issues even since they added that disclaimer.

Originally Posted by Prancer
Also, can these credits be used to pay for award travel expenses (such as partner fees, taxes etc.)?
No.