FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United’s 24-hour cancellation / flexible booking policy ...
Old Apr 10, 2023, 1:08 pm
Lux Flyer

Originally Posted by Prancer
I booked a domestic US ticket and then cancelled within 24 hours of booking. I assumed that I'd get a full refund of the fare.

However, the booking/cancellation was within 7 days of flight. Instead, I seem to have got a travel credit for a future flight. Is that SOP for United when you cancel within 24 hrs of booking, but within 7 days of travel? Or is this a mistake and I should contact customer service for an actual refund?
Their policy has been implemented more generous than the DoT requirement of 7 days in advance of departure/the text on the UA website, generally allowing anything within 24 hours of booking up to the time of departure. You can try calling to request them to send it to refunds or save the call time and just open the request on united.com/refunds; asssuming of course the reservation was made direct through a United channel and not through a TA/OTA.

Originally Posted by Prancer
Also, can these credits be used to pay for award travel expenses (such as partner fees, taxes etc.)? I tried a 'book with credit' and it didn't show these credits at the payment stage as a payment method.
No, taxes/fees for an award need to go on a card.