FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AC Hotel Kuantan, Pahang, Malaysia [Master Thread]
Old Apr 3, 2023, 4:17 am
nldogbert

Reconverted hotel, friendly service

Introduction I had a one night stay at this property back in Jan. I was actually surprised to find an AC in this city as I was not expecting any international chain hotels here except the Hyatt (which I stayed before moving to this city property). I initially thought that this property was a new built, but it turned out that this is actually a reconverted hotel - with some minor renovation/facelift to bring it to AC standards. Location The property is not located in the city centre, but inbetween the city centre of Kuantan and the beach area of Teluk Cempedak. Next to this property is another hotel - Seri Malaysia. Therefore, without your own transport, it might be incovenient as you will have to depend on taxi's to get anywhere. Around the property there's not much - and also walking is not really a very good option especially during the night time due to non-existence of side walks. However within walking distance, there are some shops and also a food court. Parking is complimentary for hotel guests and there seems to be more than sufficient parking spaces for the property. From the airport it is about 20-30 mins by car. Check In I arrived at the property just around the usual check in time of 3 pm. I was greeted by a friendly front desk agent. As an Bonvoy elite member, I was also given a warm welcome back by the agent. Surprisingly, I was informed about the lack of lounge and as a replacement, I was offered a welcome snack (but not drink) at the hotel's only bar. Although not indicated earlier in the app, I was at check-in upgraded to a nice Suite. Room As expected, the room size was large and it faced the main street. This was a proper suite with separate living area and bedroom. The living area was very spacious with a comfortable (but clearly used sofa) and a working desk. There was also a small twin sofa at the corner of the room. The bedroom size itself was also reasonably large with a working/vanity area. In both spaces, there was a TV. In the bedroom was a large wardrobe which next to it was also the minibar area - with the usual tea/coffee making amenities and complimetary bottles of water. Internet speed was sufficient and stable for usual activities. TV channel options were a mix of local and international options - although compared to the options found in properties back in Kuala Lumpur, it was slightly less. It was also an older TV model. Sleep quality was good - with the bed still being sufficiently firm. Climate control in the room was good - without too much fan noise and managing to maintain the temperature of the room constant. The bathroom area was good - with a walk-in shower. The only small complain would be the size of the walk-in shower area which was on the small side, making it difficult to really turn and twist as you will bump into the walls. Water pressure was ok - with good temperature control. Toiletries were wall mountained bottles by what seems to be a local brand. Pool The hotel did have a nice pool area - the usual type for dipping and cooling off. Sadly during my stay, the weather was not the best, so I did not manage to use the pool. It did look good for a city hotel. Evening canapes As an elite member, and since they have removed/closed the previously existed lounge (as I was informed by the front desk agent), they offered an alternative of having canapes/tapas provided - which was just a small baguette piece with carved lamb slices. In general this was a nice gesture, but the execution of it I thought could have been better - since it did not include any drinks with it. Even the availability of alcoholic options were really quite poor - they did have a special offer for one of their signature cocktail, but outside of that, the offerings of other alcoholic drinks, especially wine was quite bad. It was quite a humour that whatever wine they had, it had either gone bad or they ran out of options. In the end, we just settled for the cocktail and a glass of beer. Breakfast Since I had breakfast included in my rate, I am not sure how would it be for elite breakfast offerings - I suspect that it would be a full breakfast instead of that based on credit at AC properties.The breakfast here was served in the hotel's main restaurant - and the spread was like most hotels in Malaysia, plentiful of options - ranging from the different cuisine options.. The quality of the food was good in my opinion. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Overall All in all, for the price paid, I can say this ia a value for money property. I would return to the property if I am in the area. The only improvement I would say is that the property should sort out what it wants to do as a repalcement for the lounge option as currently what is offered is quite amateurisch. Outside of that, at least of all the different AC properties I've stayed in, they do offer some good recognition of Elite members.