Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

AC Hotel Kuantan, Pahang, Malaysia [Master Thread]

Old Feb 7, 2020, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Qatar Silver, Emirates Skyward Silver, SPG Gold , IHG Spire Elite

Well Well Well...

AC hotel has just opened the week prior to Chinese New Year. This is a YTL owned hotel since 2011 under the name " Vistana ". The building is around 20 years old and in desperate need of refurbishment. Through a franchise partnership this hotel is now part of Marriott under AC Hotels which are all under YTL.

I reckon YTL pushed very hard to get this hotel re-opened before CNY as there is a lot of money in this festive time in Malaysia. However it was a very poor experience for me. The hotel has gone through 0 renovation from what I can see from the previous Vistana apart from branding obviously. All I can see is a poorly painted hotel outside and that is it. Everything else is literally exactly the same. I arrived the 23rd Jan (CNY was 25th). The staff are obviously still very unfamiliar with the Marriott systems and understanding how it works. It took at least 10 minutes to check in. I was asked to join Marriott Bonvoy even though im Gold Elite and it says it on the paper they asked me to sign to join lol. I had a Deluxe King Room on the 2nd Floor, 224 (right opposite the service door for staff even though I asked for a quiet part of the floor). The room is very old, once again everything the same from the previous hotel apart from any branding. The bathroom has been renovated probably in the last 5 years. The shower head was extremely stained, the mirror had cracks in it. Ants were coming out the sink like a strong army lol! The towels are very cheap and thin. The aircon system is very old and loud, the bed however was comfy and I slept well. The rest of the room is in poor condition, the curtains are heavily stained, they dont even close the whole way by design so it lets a lot of light in. the tv I didnt even bother as its old, the wardrobes didn't have any slippers or gown, the chair and sofa very old and rips and stains. Just really somewhere you dont want to be or feel comfortable. The carpet is literally from the 90s lol. On certain days my room wasn't clean until nearly 4pm! The staff were in the corridors till late afternoon trying to catch up, they were very professional and friendly, this is more of a management issue or under staffing etc. The lift looks fairly new but makes such a horrible sound every time you get it in like a loud crank. the Gym literally has nothing inside lol, shouldn't even be called a gym and 1 aircon box to keep the room cool but it really doesnt. The swimming pool is fairly sized, they have a small kids pool too. This pool though is situated at the back of the hotel and the hotel is built in an L shape so it blocks the sun coming from the south so the pool area is cool but then the water is freezing. Some will like this but I prefer at least some sun to help the water have a bit of warmth. The in room phones are very old and trying to call down it just wouldnt connect and automatically cut the call. I then used the App to order some towels, which was not a good idea loll. The app in general is hit and miss even in 5 star hotels. I just did the old fashion thing and use my legs to go downstairs to get what I needed which then took another 20 minutes to arrive to my room :/ Breakfast I did not try as I am always out or wake up late so I cant speak on that. Check out was poor too. Currently they have special rates such as 1000 points per night night and breakfast for around 170Rm a night, so if you are going to Kuantan and you want to make some elite nights its ok. Otherwise I would avoid this hotel at any cost. I have stayed at nearly 7 YTL hotels and they are all poor apart from 1 Tanjong Jara Resort. This was actually a lovely stay and very well staffed. The others such as Ritz, JW Marriott, Stripes (All in KL) unfortunately I have some very bad and poor experiences. YTL is very big and deal a lot in construction too, they could of made this a great hotel or at least something nice to Kuantan but man oh man I wouldn't come back even to help boost my elite nights. It is a shame as there is no other Marriott in Kuantan so they got a foothold but I cant see what they do well here. Maybe I need to come back after to see if the service has improved and maybe facilities but I doubt the rooms will be changed any time soon.

Hope this helps.

Old Apr 3, 2023, 4:17 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Reconverted hotel, friendly service

AC Hotel by Marriott Kuantan

1 Review | 100% Recommended

Jalan Teluk Sisek Kuantan, Pahang MY 25000

Reconverted hotel, friendly service (25 Photos)

I had a one night stay at this property back in Jan.  I was actually surprised to find an AC in this city as I was not expecting any international chain hotels here except the Hyatt (which I stayed before moving to this city property).  I initially thought that this property was a new built, but it turned out that this is actually a reconverted hotel - with some minor renovation/facelift to bring it to AC standards. 

The property is not located in the city centre, but inbetween the city centre of Kuantan and the beach area of Teluk Cempedak.  Next to this property is another hotel - Seri Malaysia.  

Therefore, without your own transport, it might be incovenient as you will have to depend on taxi's to get anywhere.  Around the property there's not much - and also walking is not really a very good option especially during the night time due to non-existence of side walks.  However within walking distance, there are some shops and also a food court.  

Parking is complimentary for hotel guests and there seems to be more than sufficient parking spaces for the property. 

From the airport it is about 20-30 mins by car.  

IMG_20230106_162410928.jpg

Check In

I arrived at the property just around the usual check in time of 3 pm.  I was greeted by a friendly front desk agent.  As an Bonvoy elite member, I was also given a warm welcome back by the agent.  Surprisingly, I was informed about the lack of lounge and as a replacement, I was offered a welcome snack (but not drink) at the hotel's only bar.  Although not indicated earlier in the app, I was at check-in upgraded to a nice Suite.  

IMG_20230106_150123784.jpg

IMG_20230106_150129935.jpg

Room

As expected, the room size was large and it faced the main street.  This was a proper suite with separate living area and bedroom.  The living area was very spacious with a comfortable (but clearly used sofa) and a working desk.  There was also a small twin sofa at the corner of the room. 

IMG_20230106_134834339.jpg

IMG_20230106_134839672.jpg

The bedroom size itself was also reasonably large with a working/vanity area.  In both spaces, there was a TV.  In the bedroom was a large wardrobe which next to it was also the minibar area - with the usual tea/coffee making amenities and complimetary bottles of water. 

IMG_20230106_134851513.jpg

IMG_20230106_134856590.jpg

IMG_20230106_134909627.jpg

IMG_20230106_134947242.jpg

Internet speed was sufficient and stable for usual activities.  TV channel options were a mix of local and international options - although compared to the options found in properties back in Kuala Lumpur, it was slightly less.  It was also an older TV model.  

Sleep quality was good - with the bed still being sufficiently firm.  Climate control in the room was good - without too much fan noise and managing to maintain the temperature of the room constant. 

The bathroom area was good - with a walk-in shower.  The only small complain would be the size of the walk-in shower area which was on the small side, making it difficult to really turn and twist as you will bump into the walls.  Water pressure was ok - with good temperature control.  Toiletries were wall mountained bottles by what seems to be a local brand.   

IMG_20230106_134939391.jpg

IMG_20230106_134956156.jpg

IMG_20230106_135006172.jpg

Pool

The hotel did have a nice pool area - the usual type for dipping and cooling off.  Sadly during my stay, the weather was not the best, so I did not manage to use the pool.  It did look good for a city hotel.   

IMG_20230106_145953764.jpg

IMG_20230106_150023711_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230106_150028069_HDR.jpg

Evening canapes

As an elite member, and since they have removed/closed the previously existed lounge (as I was informed by the front desk agent), they offered an alternative of having canapes/tapas provided - which was just a small baguette piece with carved lamb slices.  In general this was a nice gesture, but the execution of it I thought could have been better - since it did not include any drinks with it.  Even the availability of alcoholic options were really quite poor - they did have a special offer for one of their signature cocktail, but outside of that, the offerings of other alcoholic drinks, especially wine was quite bad.  It was quite a humour that whatever wine they had, it had either gone bad or they ran out of options.  In the end, we just settled for the cocktail and a glass of beer. 

IMG_20230106_145958812_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230106_150043626.jpg

IMG_20230106_174826220.jpg

IMG_20230106_175303317.jpg

IMG_20230106_180830887.jpg

Breakfast

Since I had breakfast included in my rate, I am not sure how would it be for elite breakfast offerings - I suspect that it would be a full breakfast instead of that based on credit at AC properties.

The breakfast here was served in the hotel's main restaurant - and the spread was like most hotels in Malaysia, plentiful of options - ranging from the different cuisine options..  The quality of the food was good in my opinion.  The staff were very friendly and helpful.  

IMG_20230107_081236812.jpg

Overall

All in all, for the price paid, I can say this ia a value for money property.  I would return to the property if I am in the area.   The only improvement I would say is that the property should sort out what it wants to do as a repalcement for the lounge option as currently what is offered is quite amateurisch. Outside of that, at least of all the different AC properties I've stayed in, they do offer some good recognition of Elite members.

IMG_20230106_145840749.jpg

IMG_20230106_145854491.jpg

IMG_20230106_145942522.jpg

IMG_20230106_150049761.jpg

Reconverted hotel, friendly service

Would you like to write a review on the AC Hotel by Marriott Kuantan?

No, thank you.
Yes

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.