FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Understanding/Using UA Electronic Travel Certificate(ETC) & Future Flight Credit(FFC)
Old Apr 1, 2023, 3:47 pm
Smiley90
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Smiley90
Interesting, because last time I tried this, it didn't work. Had an FFC expiring 12/31/23, Made a booking for May sometime last year (new booking) paid for with the FFC, cancelled it this February - the issued FFC still has validity 12/31/23.

Did I do something wrong? I've since made another new booking that I likely won't be able to fly and while I COULD find some random itinerary to waste it on before the end of the year, I'd prefer to extend it if I could.
Interesting, I just checked the cancel options for the aforementioned trip and it says:

"Transaction summary

Credit
$4,431.68
To Future flight creditPlease use confirmation number XXXXXX to return to this canceled reservation in My Trips and make changes for a future trip. Change fees will apply when you use the future flight credit unless you qualify for a change fee waiver. Begin travel by: Feb 19, 2024."

So I think I just misunderstood - It's 1 year from BOOKING, not 1 year from original date of travel. My bad. Seems like I can just cancel this one, then at some point in December make another booking, cancel that a couple *days later and extend it until i've got a good UA trip lined up. Awesome!

Last edited by Smiley90; Apr 1, 2023 at 4:11 pm