FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United’s 24-hour cancellation / flexible booking policy ...
Old Mar 13, 2023, 12:10 am
BigFlyer

Originally Posted by jsloan
Several years ago, UA updated their policy to add the seven-day exception, in line with the minimum DOT requirement. I can recall exactly one report of UA ever trying to enforce it -- I don't remember the details exactly, but there were other successful refunds after that case.

If you absolutely need to be able to get a refund, a refundable ticket is your best bet. If you'd prefer a refund, but would accept future flight credit if it came down to it, then I think it's OK to continue to rely on this unpublished exception with the knowledge that it may disappear at any time.
As a test, I started a booking for a Basic Economy ticket for less than 7 days out. On the "Traveler Info" page in the booking process, if you expand the section labeled "terms and conditions" it says: "All customers booking at united.com may request a 100% refund within 24 hours of ticketing." Seems pretty unequivocal that you can get the refund in 24 hours, even in the case of a Basic Economy ticket.

Not sure this is any way to run a railroad - having a policy on your website which is not followed and is contradicted on another part of the website.