FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada eUpgrade program (October 2020 onwards) [read wiki BEFORE asking question]
Old Feb 10, 2023, 1:25 pm
c224488

Programs: AC 50K, WS Gold, MB Titanium, National EE, UA Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Was it an Aeroplan booking?

There have been reports that those seem to be prioritized for downgrades.

But there's absolutely no way in hell I'd accept a J to Y downgrade when I booked PY.

Half the reason I book PY (disclaimer this is a blog post that I wrote: https://princeoftravel.com/guides/wh...-a-great-deal/) is for a "guaranteed" minimum level of service.

Even if everyone in J were paid J other than me, there's no way PY doesn't have someone with lower status who could be given a one-cabin downgrade to put me back in my ticketed cabin.
Yes, it was an AP booking. She was downgraded to Y on a PY ticket. Called AP and Air Canada who basically said couldn't do anything. Funny thing was that she was placed on the waitlist for J AND PY. Like what? The original booking class was PY.

She got to the the airport 5 hours prior to her flight, the agent had to make 2 separate calls and after 30 minutes on hold, she was rebooked to another plane on PY (an earlier flight).

This was a 28J aircraft switched to another 28J aircraft (200LR to 300ER). So it wasn't like a 40J to 20J. Very odd indeed. I'm sure there were other passengers in Y who were eupgraded that were not bumped. Perhaps you are right about AP vs. Cash downgrade priority but I guess no one can confirm.

Either way, I will be asking her to write in to express her dissatisfaction with this absurd downgrade.