FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2024 Eclipse - Texas
View Single Post
Old Feb 7, 2023, 8:09 am
aztimm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by djp98374
if you are not driving there are better places too fly to and see it….

indy
Cleveland
buffalo
rochester

all those citues are close to peak line.
I'm quite biased, but out of this list, I'd definitely recommend Cleveland. There is a decent transit system, that connects the airport to the city, so there's no need to rent a car. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is there, and easily walkable from downtown. There's some great restaurants and bars in The Flats (since it won't be winter). And my brother lives there, so there's that for me

I'm not quite sure about the other cities, but I've personally found that I can find places to explore and have fun almost anywhere. Even Boise, Idaho surprised me (an awesome memorial to Anne Frank).

As to cloud cover....yes, that could happen almost anywhere. We can get major storms in Texas almost anytime year-round, but especially late summer. The DFW area (and I'll include Hillsboro in that) seems to get them more severe. The storms travel along the I-10 and I-20 corridors, the latter leads them straight into the DFW area. At least in Austin, we have the Hill Country to the west, which sometimes breaks up storms a bit.