FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Same day flight change - JFK instead of LGA?
Old Jan 23, 2023, 8:57 pm
dvs7310

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
I think your experience is more similar to my own regarding same city airports. Many airlines consider these co-terminals. I'm not sure all that exist but certainly NYC is one covering JFK/LGA/EWR. Usually LA is another covering LAX/BUR/LGB/ONT, San Fran with SFO/SJC/OAK, Washington IAD/DCA and similar to what you mentioned I thought MIA/FLL/PBI fell into that as well. I've done it many times with Tokyo as well, switching between NRT and HND, always fun teaching Expedia "agents" (Chase Travel) what co-terminal means but when you instruct them to search using the city code instead of the airport code suddenly flights for all of the airports show up (TYO to get NRT and HND; NYC to get LGA/JFK/EWR; etc.) and they are amazed

A lot of agents will look at those as being the same airport for many purposes, not only irrops, depends on your ticket and routing rules (**Hint: many fare routing rules use city codes allowing all airports covered in the code). I've certainly had that experience on all 3 majors, AA, UA, and DL, as well as NH and JL, though when not explicit in the rules, YYMV.

Last edited by dvs7310; Jan 23, 2023 at 9:07 pm