FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - GUIDE: EC261 / EC 261/2004 “EU” complaints, compensation and AA
Old Jan 23, 2023, 8:25 am
Rossodio

Programs: AA EXP
Flying CLT -> NAP as 2 passengers on a single reservation (2 separate record locators but on the same reservation) and back in May. Going through DFW to LHR on the way there on Flagship First in 77W. On the way back, on original booking was going NAP->LHR->MIA->CLT with a fairly tight connection, albeit one AA allowed, in LHR, and another Flagship First 77W flight to MIA. Redeemed miles to book back in ~11/2022. All flights are operated by AA.

I am checking my app weekly to see if any flight changes have been made for a variety of reasons, not least of which is securing accommodations, transport to/from airports, etc.

Looked today to see that my return trip had been changed. the LHR->MIA flight got changed to half an hour or so earlier in the day. This led to making a connection in LHR that was too tight for AA to recognize (couldn't transfer bags in that short of a layover, apparently), losing my seat in FF on the LHR->MIA flight. I am taking the earliest possible flight in the day out of NAP (9:15 AM) so no option to get to LHR earlier. I got bumped to a direct flight from LHR to CLT leaving at 4:55PM, skipping a stop in MIA. Layover in LHR went from about 1h45 to around 4h10.

I called the EXP customer service line to see what my options were. There were zero later flights leaving from LHR to MIA, DFW, or JFK that would allow me to connect back into a 3-service class/Flagship First flight to the US.

In short, got moved from a Flagship First seat/F on a 77W to a J class seat on a 777-200 which does not have 3 class service.

Looking for advice on how/when to file a claim and what to expect as compensation and any other tips that could be shared for my case... Also, given 2 record locators, do I need to file separately for my wife's ticket that got bumped?

EDIT: In the thread I originally brought up my flight change up in, it was stated that since the flight is in May it is too far out to get compensation through this law. However, I would like to bring up getting miles/points compensated which apparently happens through American Airlines' customer service offices. Anyone here can correct me if any of this is not right.

Last edited by Rossodio; Jan 23, 2023 at 11:45 am