FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - American and Alaska / AS earnings and elite benefits as of 31 Mar 2021
Old Jan 22, 2023, 7:28 am
HiAperture

Programs: AA PPro
Originally Posted by DSM Flyer
That's fair, and really there's no reason not to have a mileage acct if I'm also registering a user account for the app. Just like to avoid having another account to keep track of, but it'd be no different from 3000 orphaned miles sitting in my United account, haha.

Maybe a better question in the AS forum, but since I'm here, have I just found an oddity in pricing? I'm assuming Main and Premium Upgrade are the same price since I checked MVP Gold and Premium Upgrades are available at booking like MCE. First Class is only $37 more so I may book that. But what is up with the First Class Upgrade, $98 more? That option didn't appear before MVP Gold was checked, but it is more than full first class. Is it equivalent to the in-app upgrades on AA and the pricing is just wonky?

those are higher fare classes that are eligible for Alaska’s own guest upgrade certificates/mileage upgrades (and instant upgrades for some AS elites if available). That has nothing to do with using your AA status to get a Premium seat or be on an upgrade list.

*edit* I forget that lower level elites don’t get premium on every fare class except X (saver). So if you are AA plat for instance that would help you make sure you are getting a fare class that is eligible for a premium class upgrade just following booking.

if this is a long enough flight to get a decent meal I’d look at the $37 to just buy first. Plus you get more AA miles on an F ticket (high % of distance flown).

Last edited by HiAperture; Jan 22, 2023 at 7:47 am