FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - If ticket price goes down, will changing itin = refund?
Old Jan 4, 2023, 3:52 pm
ssk244

Programs: AS 75k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by pakle
Glad I found this thread which gave me the confidence to try it since the Wallet funds are (usually) available right away. I have an upcoming trip that dropped $180 today. I tried to change it but the original flight wasn't on the list so I picked an earlier flight that was also cheaper and got $270 back to my Wallet immediately. But when I tried to change it again to my original flight, there was no option to use the Wallet funds to pay the $90 fare difference! I guess I misunderstood how this all works. So I ended up canceling the entire trip, whole amount went back to the Wallet immediately (whew!), and re-booking the original flight with the Wallet funds. And have the $180 in my Wallet.

I guess next time I'll try to change it to a flight that is the same price as the desired flight so that there is no fare difference when I change it back to the desired flight.
It's a pain but I usually end up cancelling/re-booking the entire thing if the flight that I'm originally booked in is cheaper. I haven't had good luck with trying to change it/then back again.