FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Unofficial AC flight status and information tool (aka cowtool)
Old Dec 11, 2022, 9:07 am
canadiancow
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
I really appreciate this and will look forward to seeing how it evolves.

I'm trying to think of what information I often look for over the last few days before a flight and wonder about adding a simple count of seats remaining for upgrade or standby, either in the heading of each of the seat maps or perhaps just above the legend. I think that's info I and others would find useful. So that could be something like J3 O3 or Business Class (2), Premium Economy (2). I suppose I could get that information from counting the □, but still, it might be nice to have it at a glance. Including R0 or R2 might be helpful also.

Another option might be linking somewhere to SeatGuru or even the AC seat map to help those who may be selecting a seat still.

And then depending on the purpose you have in mind for this tool, you could think about having a little box telling who is within their eUpgrade window for that specific flight (SuperElite, 75K, etc), with a link to the eUpgrade page on Air Canada.
Believe me, if I found a way to get fare class availability, that would have been a cowtool a long time ago.

Counting the available seats tells you basically nothing.

Upgrade clearance windows depend on your fare as well. I'd rather you just go check whether you're HL or HN using the PNR tool.

Originally Posted by CanadianMike
Yet another awesome tool - appreciate it!

Suggestion: perhaps some colourized text stating "On Time" vs "Delay" somewhere in / below the flight information?
Or maybe with your code and if it pulls from Flightaware it will automatically populate like that if a delay is posted... ?

I also often like checking inbound aircraft status so a link for that?
Can of course click through Flightaware to find that information though so maybe less links / clutter is better.
So if you look in my sample screenshot, there's a time in green. That color isn't always green

Track inbound is a good idea. I'll see if that's something I can easily find.