FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2022]
Old Dec 2, 2022, 8:45 pm
jsloan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thejoyofgalavanting
The options under the Miles tab are what are really confusing me. From what I can understand, I can choose to be “waitlisted” for an upgrade to both flights for 35k + $450/person. I will only be charged the $450 if Polaris works out, otherwise just the 35k. However, it doesn’t really say that covers the IAD-HNL flight even though it’s checked.
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

The Miles + Money upgrades will be charged up front and then refunded if they don’t clear. I assume you’re starting from across the Atlantic? If there are both Polaris-marketed and non-Polaris-marketed flights on your itinerary, and only the non-Polaris (IAD-HNL) clears, you’ll still get a full refund.

Originally Posted by thejoyofgalavanting
Also (and this is my big question), what is the “waitlist”? Is this a waitlist from now until the flight leaves on Apr 29, 2023? If I pick this waitlist and then decide I’d rather pay the money, is that an option?
Yes, the waitlist is exactly that — a list of people who have used instruments to upgrade. It’s prioritized by status, so even though you may be at the top of the list now, expect that to change. In fact, your odds of clearing an upgrade from the list aren’t great, especially on IAD-HNL. (Your odds improve if a recession hits hard, if that makes you feel any better..)

You will probably need to cancel the Miles + Money upgrade before you’d be able to pay cash instead.

If you are considering buying UA miles (or transferring from another program), please think very carefully. You’re quite likely to end up with orphaned UA miles and a flight in economy.